How Much Simple Syrup?

Decorating By yanci Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm by JCE62108

yanci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yanci Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 8

Hello,
Im fairly new to baking and making cakes and I have a few questions:

1. I would like to know if anyone can suggest the right amount of simple syrup to avoid my cakes drying out. I normally just brush it on the top to the layers with a small brush. Is that enough? I dont want the cake feeling wet but I do like the very moist texture.

2. Should I apply the simple syrup as soon as it comes out of the oven or wait until it cools?

3. How long after I apply the simple syrup can I start frosting the cake?

Thanks!

7 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 8

1. The paper that I have suggests 3-4 Tablespoons for every egg used in the recipe. A lot of it though is just learning what you like.

2. I apply the simple syrup when I am putting the cakes together. So I tort them and then I put the syrup on, then I fill the cake, then I put the next layer on, simple syrup, fill it, etc.

3. I frost the cake after it has had a little time to firm up.

yanci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yanci Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 8

Hi,
Thanks for you response. 2 more questions...
Do you just brush the syrup over the to pr pour with a spoon?
Can you tell me the name of you book you have. I would love to buy and learn a little more!

Thanks!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 8

Ive only done it a few times and I brushed just enough to make it moist, because I was afraid of making it too wet. I am going to try and spritz it on next time with a spray bottle. Seems like it will help make it go on more evenly.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:55am
post #5 of 8

I've never used simple syrup but I would suggest you brush it lightly.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 8

I use simple syrup on every cake. And I use a squirt bottle with a small tip/opening. The amount to use really comes as much from experience as anything.

ylil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylil Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

I use simple syrup on every cake. And I use a squirt bottle with a small tip/opening. The amount to use really comes as much from experience as anything.

Sorry to ask a dumb ?, but how much does it sweeten the cake itself? For instance if I have a cake that I really like because of the delicate flavor, will it interfere with that?

Thanks!

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 8

Probably not. You dont use much at all. You just brush it on lightly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%