Glueing Layered Cakes

Decorating By mclaren Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 12:53am by mclaren

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:19am
post #1 of 5

OK I've made a few layered cakes before (only some 2 layers & some 3 layers so far), but only for others. I've never made them and actually eaten them myself.
Some I used icing, some I only used thin layers fruit fillings.

Just now, I chatted with a dear friend, and somehow we were talking abt cakes, and she brought up abt the cake that I gave her 2 months ago (I tried a new recipe, and gave the whole cake to her since she & her family are crazy abt cakes), where the layers kept separating after it was cut.

Meaning to say, the thin filling didn't glue them together. It was a two layer cake.

At first, she thought it was due to the fridging (cold cake) but when she left it out in RT for some time, it still separated when cut.

Is this a norm for fruit fillings filled cake? The ones I made cake with icing filling, I haven't actually asked them abt this, wondering id they experienced the same thing.

So how do I glue the layers so that they don't split?

Thanks!!!!

4 replies
jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:31am
post #2 of 5

Not really sure but I think you should maybe put a dam of buttercream around the edges of your layers and then add your fruit fillings. I've never did this but I think thats what most people do. Maybe someone else will come along that knows for sure. icon_smile.gif

mclaren Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:37am
post #3 of 5

so the dam really does glue the layers together? i've never tried putting a dam to my cakes yet, though i've read about it all the time, but i thought damming is to prevent bulging.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:35am
post #4 of 5

Actually, you should always put a dam when you are using some type of fruit filling. I even use a dam on my buttercream fillings. I'm not sure how your layers keep separating but I am not surprised. I'm not sure but maybe the filling didn't have time to settle, maybe the filling was too thin or not sticky enough that it didn't let the two layers stick together or maybe it just wasnt't cut right. Sorry, I really don't know what to say. Maybe someone will chime in and let you know.

mclaren Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:53am
post #5 of 5

anyone??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%