White Chocolate Icing Dilemma

Baking By mclaren Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 5:41am by mclaren

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:25am
post #1 of 11

I'm looking for a good white choc icing recipe.

I've narrowed down to two, but do not know which one's better (ok, I know what tastes good to me, may not taste good to others)..
But I hope to get feedback here, if any of you have tried any of the recipes below, can help to describe how the taste & texture are like.

Also might help to those who have tried the recipes, to share with me, each icing recipe yields how much? Is it enough to fill a 10inch 4 layer cake (3 layers of icing)?

Here are the recipes:

White chocolate icing
1/4 lb white chocolate, melted
2 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

White chocolate icing
125 g butter
125 g white chocolate, melted
3/4 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon thickened cream

Thanks in advance!

10 replies
jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:00am
post #2 of 11

Sorry I can't help much. I've never made either of these, but I'm pretty sure by looking at the ingredients that neither will be enough for a 10 in. 4 layer cake. Maybe someone will come along that can be of more help! thumbs_up.gif

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:20am
post #3 of 11

I'm not sure either but one cup of butter to one cup sugar with one cup milk in the first recipe sounds out of wack to me! Sounds more like a glaze...thin and runny. I agree with Jaybug that neither look like they will yield enough for what you are looking for.

Sounds like it's time to just experiment! Lucky you! icon_biggrin.gif (I'm available to lick he beaters if you need a second opinion icon_wink.gif
Let us know how it goes. Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

mclaren Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:56am
post #4 of 11

actually Minstrelmiss, the recipe that has 1C of milk, butter, and sugar, works this way, combine the melted choc, flour, and milk, put on a small heat, stir until it becomes thick. and cool completely.

then cream butter, sugar, and vanilla until light & fluffy. add in the cooled choc mixture, do not over blend, as it will turn soupy (glaze like i think). and we are supposed to spread the icing just like we do BC.

ok, bumping this for me :p .... can anybody help?

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:39am
post #5 of 11

Sorry, haven't made a white chocolate icing, but I do use Serious_Cakes buttercream recipe, all the time, and add semi-sweet chocolate or milk chocolate. I'm sure it would be yummy with white chocolate. Definitely will cover a 10" 4 layer cake.

Here is her recipe on CC and on utube. On utube, click "more info" on right for ingredients. Scroll down to bottom for adding chocolate directions. Just add the melted chocolate, cooled to room temperature just before adding sugar. Due to humidity here, I only use 4tbl cream and 2tbl corn syrup.

You can PM her if you want to ask specifically about white chocolate.

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7059-0-Buttercream-Frosting.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLcCbN2I4xI&NR=1

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:47am
post #6 of 11

The first one is supposed to be a cooked icing, and will not crust for you.

The second one is a crusting BC.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:50am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

actually Minstrelmiss, the recipe that has 1C of milk, butter, and sugar, works this way, combine the melted choc, flour, and milk, put on a small heat, stir until it becomes thick. and cool completely.

then cream butter, sugar, and vanilla until light & fluffy. add in the cooled choc mixture, do not over blend, as it will turn soupy (glaze like i think). and we are supposed to spread the icing just like we do BC.

ok, bumping this for me :p .... can anybody help?

Gotcha! Some people add a little flour or corn starch to their icing to cut the sweetness so without directions it is hard to know icon_smile.gif Sounds like playing playingwithsugar has the low down thumbs_up.gif

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:58am
post #8 of 11

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5003-Crusting-White-Chocolate-Buttercream.html

This is the recipe I use, however I use high ratio shortening... It works great, and it would fill that amount, but you would have to make a second batch to ice with....

good luck!

mclaren Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:12am
post #9 of 11

thanks everyone for the replies. seems that most only use normal icing with WH added.

i was hoping that someone out there had tried any of the recipes i posted above, just to see how they really performed.

anyway, still, thanks for the replies!! icon_smile.gif

TamathaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamathaV Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:02am
post #10 of 11

Sorry I haven't tried the above either but I swear by Martha Stewarts White Choc Buttercream from her Weddings book. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post it but I'm pretty sure you could find it on her website. It's a Swiss Meringue BC and is maybe a little fussier to make than normal confectioner's sugar based icing but it's sooooo good! Buttery but not too buttery and not sickly sweet. It is NOT a crusting BC.

mclaren Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:41am
post #11 of 11

thanks TamathaV....

i found the recipe on her website, below, in case anyone's interested. i'm sure it's delish, but i can't afford to use SMBC as it will cost more (the eggs). the customer has a budget. but good to know abt this, i may try it in the future.

IngredientsMakes 12 cups
10 large egg whites
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 cups (8 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
16 ounces white chocolate, melted and kept warm; or, 24 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted and kept warm

DirectionsCombine egg whites and sugar in a heatproof mixer bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk until mixture registers 160 degrees, about 5 minutes.
Attach bowl to a mixer with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until cooled and thickened, about 10 minutes. Reduce speed to medium. Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Reduce speed to low. Beat in white or semi-sweet chocolate, occasionally scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
Raise speed to medium-high. Beat until well combined. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Before using, bring to room temperature, and beat on low speed until smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%