I Can't Help But Think I've Messed Up!

Baking By ghammer Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 9:26pm by TracyLH

ghammer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ghammer Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 10

I have a bunch of friends coming into town this weekend (Sunday) and on Monday we're going to Cedar Point amusement park without our husband and/or kids. So I made a bunch of cookies for them in various shapes and designs. Because I'm only a hobby baker and have 2 kids at home with me all day alone, I had to bake them early. I baked some yesterday (just a few) and the rest today. I let them cool and put them in air tight containers. I've iced a few and am letting them set right now before I add on extra detail and then I will give them the proper drying time before I put them in cello bags. I haven't iced all of my cookies yet, but I keep thinking the ones I have done and sitting to dry are going to be hard by the time my friends get them?

Is it likely they will be stale by then?

9 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 10

They will probably be all right, but you could stick them in the freezer after you bag them.

ghammer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ghammer Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 10

I thought about doing that, but they are iced with a glace and I wasn't sure about the outcome of that

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 10

I do mine with Glace' and they are good after freezing.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 10

Eat the ones that you've already frosted. Stick the ones you haven't in the freezer for a couple of days. Pull them out, let them thaw and then ice them on Thursday. =o) They will think they are fresh.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy58

I do mine with Glace' and they are good after freezing.

THANK YOU for this info! Do you mean Toba Garrett glace?

If so that is wonderful - I work full time and would really love to be able to ice and freeze ahead. Was always afraid the glace would crystalize.

Do you package then freeze, or freeze first in single layer?

Advice on thawing out?

Thanks for advice.
Pat

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 10

Yes, PattyT, I use Toba's Glace'. I'm not a cookie "expert", but I have frozen them unbagged in a 9x13" pan with lid, with wax paper between the layers. I take them out of the freezer and set the pan on the counter and don't open until they're defrosted. I give them a few hours or even overnight. They seem fine when I take them out.

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 10

I've try to freeze my cookies with toba's glace... and it didn't work at aaaaalll !! icon_sad.gif
A lots of white spot on it ! And my cookies dough didn't taste as good as they are when they have not been frozed!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:59am
post #9 of 10

Oops GHammer. I missed your response before I posted that. LOL!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:26pm
post #10 of 10

Just a somewhat related thought to throw in. I had some cookies that I was holding on to in order to photograph when we had better lighting and a non-stormy day and I was worried about the same stale factor before I put them in the family cookie jar. I put in a piece of bread in the jar, sealed it tight and it made a huge difference! If you want to try this, do it with white vice wheat as the wheat can impart a taste. I even put a piece of bread behind a cookie that I was taking on a trip and it was not stale at all. I wouldn't do this for cookies I sell, but it you want to rejuvenate some for family, this worked for me! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%