Fondant Figures

Decorating By mc Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm by poohsmomma

mc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mc Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 7

Hello All,

I would like to make some fondant animals to top cupcakes for a birthday, but I wouldn't want the figures to become to hard, so the kids can eat them. How early should/can I prepare them? Should I add gumtex to the fondant? Since I would need to make them ahead of time, how should I store them to prevent them to dry out?

Thanks for the help!

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, I would use Tyolos, CMC or Gumtrex to the fondant or you can mix 50/50 fondant and gumpaste. Once you make them, let them dry properly and then store in an airtight box and away from direct sunlight! icon_smile.gif

mc Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 7

Hi Bashini,

But will they get really hard? Whenever I have used gumtex with my mmf, the figures have gotten really hard. I am just thinking about the kids wanting to eat them...
Thanks!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 7

With my experience, the kids will eat them whether its hard or not. But what I thought was that if you are icing the cupcake with bc, and once you put the decorations on, it will go really soft! That's why I suggested adding tylose to fondant or the 50/50. icon_smile.gif

mc Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks Bashini. That makes sense that they will go soft once set on the bc. I will try your suggestion.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 7

how about using marzipan instead of fondant?

i used the wilton fondant mixed wiht gp for some decorations on a last minute cake and after putting them on they got kinda soft and i even had adults tell me they tasted good, lol.i was kinda shocked. i mean, wilton fondant and wilton gp?

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 7

I have used just fondant alone in cupcake toppers and it worked fine. I made a cake for my great nephew, and all he ate was the fondant animals.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%