What Sizes To Bake For A 2 Tier Topsy Turvy Cake?

Decorating By ThreePrinces Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 10:31pm by mrswendel

ThreePrinces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreePrinces Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 9

Every tutorial I have found is for a 3 tier topsy turvy cake. I only need a 2 tier. What sizes of cakes do I bake for a 2 tier (and how many?)

Thank you so much!!!

8 replies
MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 9

It really depends on how much cake you need, how many you are serving.

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 9

My first mistake on my first topsy turvy cake was making the tiers too close together in size. Give yourself about 4 inches of space between each tier. So smallest you could go is 10in and 6 inch. They are alot of fun to make!! Have fun
Shannie

ThreePrinces Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 9

I'm serving 25.

So, how many layers of the 10 inch and 6 inch? Thank you so much!!

(I imagine that I follow the same directions that I've found in tutorials, only just change the sizes.)

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 9

I just did a 2 tier topsy turvy. For the bottom tier, I did a 8, 9, 10 inch and the top was a 6, 7, 8 inch. I found by doing it this way, there wasn't as much to carve out for the shape. However, there were about 40 people at the party and there was cake left over.

ThreePrinces Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 9

Well, I don't think anyone would ever complain about leftover cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Mrs. Wendel, is that 8 inch on the very bottom, then the 9, then the 10. And then for the top, 6 on bottom, 7 middle, 8 on top? Right?

mrswendel Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 9

Yep. If you do them upside down it is a little bit easier to carve to the right shape. Once you get the right shape, just flip it over and crumbcoat etc. There is a tutorial on here that is really good...I think it is under the articles section.

ThreePrinces Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 9

Here is my finished product. (well, almost. I got so excited that it went so well that I took the photo before I dusted the powdered sugar off the fondant and the cake board. But you get the general idea!) I wound up just frosting it in buttercream and doing fondant accents. It was a chocolate cake with fresh orange buttercream.

Thank you all SO MUCH for your help! (especially you, MrsWendel.)

mrswendel Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 9

Good job! It turned out great. Glad I could help. (and I love the flavour combo you did....it's one of my favs! icon_smile.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%