Has Anyone Ever Made Their Own Impression Mats?

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 3:12pm by Auryn

dezmadre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezmadre Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:15pm
post #31 of 43

I'm not sure of your location, but if you have a Michael's or Joann's close to you, they do offer 40% off coupons and you are able to obtain those online.

dezmadre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezmadre Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:15pm
post #32 of 43

I'm not sure of your location, but if you have a Michael's or Joann's close to you, they do offer 40% off coupons and you are able to obtain those online.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:39am
post #33 of 43

chedaw, thanks for the button tip.

am not in the US unfortunately. icon_sad.gif so no Michael's for me.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #35 of 43

i bought the food safe silicone from culinart, you have to scroll down for the food safe i bought 1lb. about 29 dollars with shipping, it worked good, just make sure what ever you use to mix it with and in you don't want, it had enought working time, just make sure you measure out equally i guestimated and the fast few didn't come out very good. i'm going to use the one from michaels next time and use the coupon, i've bought alot of stamps from the dollar store's, and at one time, michaels had foam stamps for 50 cents to a dollar, there not where the regular scrap book stamps are . they had bins of them. small bugs, doves's all kinds of shapes, i made some molds with them.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:29am
post #36 of 43

sorry when i've said the henna page you have to go to free patterns, and when you see one you see a variety of way's to use them

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:36am
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchris

Any suggestions for the texture of moss?

Sorry to be hijacking.... icon_razz.gif

I may be way off, but I remeber seeing on Ace of Cakes, an episode where they dried green RI and then pounded it down to a powderish texture and applied it to the cake as moss. Wasn't that the Harry Potter cake? Does anyone know if this is right? And did they put piping gel down and then the powdered RI????

As for the texture question. I sometimes look in my daughters toys. Girl toys have lots of scrolls and pretty things embossed on them. I just wash first, then impress. Same with play doh things.

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:40am
post #38 of 43
SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:43am
post #39 of 43

I made an impression mat with a scroll design (used for the wedding cake in my photos) by taking a sheet of acetate, then I traced the design on it using a tube of glue. I believe its a puffy glue, so when it dries, it is raised. I went over the design about 2 - 3 times, letting it dry between each time. After it was thoroughly dry, i pressed it against the buttercream and it worked great. The glue i got at Michaels for about 2 bucks

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:02am
post #40 of 43

I've used the cuttlebug folders! They are wonderful. You get a small surface area, but it gives you so much variety you can do things like patchwork or cut out flowers on the patters. And they are so much cheaper and great variety too! I just put fondant in the folder and roll my pin over it.

MARYNES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARYNES Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:15am
post #41 of 43

I am not sure if it is what you are talking about but I hope this could help.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/568298013CdussY

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:45pm
post #42 of 43

I have textured placemats ($1), leather material from fabric store ($3 yd), scrapbooking material (usings coupons), rubber stamps (using coupons), clay mats (using coupons), a terrycloth towel, a disposable flimsy wire (diamond shape) grill cover ($1), the flourscent light cover ($6), textured vinyl tablecloth ($6) , scouring pads (plastic and steel) ($1). I haven't gone to the hardware for the rods yet, but has been on my agenda.

When I go to a store I look at things and see if I can use it in cake decorating.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:12pm
post #43 of 43

I've used a bunch of different textured paper, but I also make my own impression.
mats

I have a laser cutter and engraver (thats one of the things I do for a living) that I use to make custom mats for my family members' cakes. Usually for when its something really specific that I can't find anything else.

that silicone stuff is awesome, thansk for the tip

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%