Moldable Chocolate

Decorating By RomesGal Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 5:58pm by Bellatheball

RomesGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RomesGal Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:08am
post #1 of 9

Hi folks. I have a quick question and I hope someone knowledgable can help me with it ASAP.
I am going to do a fall cake and will be making a branch with a few fall leaves on it. (this is a tiered cake by the way) I have read about but have yet to work with moldable chocolate. I have read some threads about using chocolate melts with corn syrup added.
I will be making the leaves from fondant and attaching them to the branch with wire and floral tape and then the tape will be covered with the chocolate..........any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:13am
post #2 of 9

I highly highly recommend using JenniferMI's Pearl Clay. It's a chocolate/fondant mixture that tastes great and holds up to anything. I just love the stuff. You can email her directly for further information. The recipe is on her DVD which also goes into how to use it in a variety of ways. But I can only tell you from my own experience -- I use it and I love it! icon_lol.gif

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:21am
post #3 of 9

I believe what you are referring to is also called candy clay. The recipe is on each of bag of Wilton candy melts. It is one bag of candy and 1/3 cup of light corn syrup. Cheap and easy. icon_biggrin.gif

I use it all the time, instead of fondant. It is heat sensitive, so if you have "hot hands" it can be hard to work with, but sometimes that is a good thing when you want to "glue" something together, like a leaf to a branch....you just rub the chocolate and sort of "weld" it to another piece.

You can roll it out and cut flat shapes or mold 3D figures with it. It is very soft when you work with it, but dries nice and firm.

I would suggest you make up a recipe and work with it a little to see if you like it. It does take a little practice and patience. I have more tips, if you are interested just PM me.

Kim

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:23am
post #4 of 9

The Pearl Clay I'm referring to is different than candy clay. Similar but very different. It has different properties which make it much easier to work with. (Hence why I like it so much!) icon_lol.gif

RomesGal Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:47am
post #5 of 9

Oh thank you for all of the information. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Ya'll are lifesavers!!!!!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 9

HI!

I'm Jennifer, the pearl clay gal icon_smile.gif Yes, the pearl clay would work well to cover your branch. Personally, with what you are wanting to do, I would use gumpaste fpr the leaves. You can get a much more realistic looking leaf. You also can get them thinner and stranger as well. Just my own opinion. You then could attach them to your choc. covered branch. Here's some that I made. They really are easy. I am happy to help if you need it.

Happy leaf making!
Jennifer Dontz icon_smile.gif

RomesGal Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 9

Hi Jennifer. Yes I went to your website and your work is fantastic. Thank you for the tip regarding the gumpaste.
I will not have to complete this cake until November so wanted to get started in "perfecting" the branch early LOL. I will give that a shot as well. I definetly want thin leaves, do you recommend hand painting the leaves or marblizing the gumpaste before rolling it out?
Thank you everyone. After I get my "practice piece done I will post it here to show you how much ya'll helped me. You guys are awesome!! icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 9

I meant thinner and stronger in the post above.

Hmmm, my pic didn't come thru. I'll try again. I just dust these:

Jen icon_smile.gif
LL

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:58pm
post #9 of 9

You could use modeling chocolate which is 10 oz chocolate and 1/3 c corn syrup. Melt the chooclate, heat the syrup a little bit and mix together. Let it sit overnight and you have a giant Tootsie Roll to work with. icon_biggrin.gif The stuff is fab.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%