Wilton Casses Before Starting A Business?

Business By laycj18 Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 12:51pm by Dizzymaiden

laycj18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laycj18 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 7

I am planning on starting a cake business in about a year or so - my great-grandmother used to make and decorate cakes and ever since I was very little I've always wanted to follow in her foot-steps! Now that I am starting a family and leaving my career to be a stay at home mom I am looking for something to do part-time that I enjoy. So I can finally stay at home and bake for people all day! Wonderful!! icon_smile.gif

I bake a lot as it is but was wondering as far as polishing things up - do you all suggest taking Wilton classes before starting an official business - to get a good hold on technique and advance decorating ideas? Or just trial-and-error in your free time? Or just reading books and tips from fellow CCers? What do you suggest? TIA

6 replies
ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 7

First Welcome to CC!!!
I took all 4 Wilton classes, and it was very helpful for me. Before I could bake a cake for my family, but it was very simple and full of mistakes.
Wilton classes gave me a good decorating start, and it was very fun to learn all the basic of cake decorating. Now, for me is practice the skills I learn.
I don't know how far are you with your skills, if you know how to work with BC, do borders...maybe you could skip the lesson 1.
If you would like to know more about the classes, let me know (PM), and I will go to the details of each class.

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 7

I took Wilton Classes as well as classes at a local cake shop.

What I found is that they can show you basic techniques (Wilton) or how to make fun cakes (cake store) but I can EASILY say that 95% of everything I have learned, I learned right here on CC combined with practice, practice, practice (lots of cakes went to work with the hubby eventually resulting in orders). Every one here is soooo helpful you can just ASK how to do something and they readily share. A few members have great tutorials right here on CC or on their own website. Youtube has some great how to videos to sort through too. Some by our very own CCers!

I, honestly, credit CC for close to everything I've learned (I've only being doing cakes since February this year) and more importantly for the standard I hold myself too with the cakes I produce. My cakes were easily better crafted than any of the teachers' cakes from the classes I took.

It's funny because everyone says "OMG! Where'd you learn that?? Did you take classes????" And my reply every time is, "There's this website...a cake forum...."

Thanks CC! I just love this place!

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 7

Check out the local high school for cake decorating adult classes as well as any culinary schools. I just took a two day class at King Arthur for wedding cakes.

I agree - I have picked up alot of information, tips, tricks and support from CC and would recomend you start gathering your "cake bible/scrap book" as soon as you can for your bakery. I worked at a bakery and they always had a secret book! Fun.

Good luck - Dizzy

No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 7

I took only one Wilton coarse before starting my business. However, I was constantly on this board and others researching questions and practicing. In my case I had far more time than I had money for coarses.

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 7

I haven't taken any classes because the closest one is 120 miles away and I open for business in March. I have learned so much more here and through youtube tutorials in the past 2 years then in all my years put together.

However, if the classes were offered closer I would take at least the first one because I still can't do a BC rose to save my life! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:51pm
post #7 of 7

I have been to many bakeries (as I am sure you all have) - once I even walked in blistering heat and humitity in Thailand to find "Love at first Bite" bakery! All in search of the one tasty bake good that would change my life forever..haha

It is really up to your local market what will become the favorite. Classes are important for tips and technique but it will be your signature cake and baked goods that will bring them in!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%