Transporting Tiered Cakes

Decorating By pattisos Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 1:45am by ptanyer

pattisos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattisos Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 6

Please share how you transport tiered wedding cakes to reception sites w/o sliding off the cake plateau. Also, explain the type of columns and plastic cake rounds that you use and how you insert them into the cake. Are cardboard cake rounds better tha icon_smile.gif n plastic rounds?
Thanks for any insight!

5 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 6

First of all, welcome to Cake Central. You have found the best place in the world for cake decorators icon_smile.gif

I did a 4 tier wedding cake in March that had a 3/4" MDF cake base, Wilton cake boards as the base for each tier. Stacked each tier using Wilton wooden dowels for support for each tier, and then a sharpened long wooden dowel driven through all tiers and into the botton cake board.

This past weekend did a 7 tier cake and transported each tier as follows:
1. Each cake tier is built on a 1/2" foam core base and each piece of foam core is wrapped in food safe wrap like the Press and Seal product.

2. I have some extremely sturdy cake delivery boxes designed for stacked tier construction. These boxes have heavy duty cardboard that can be slid out of the box and place the tiers on them and then slide back into the box.

3. Each tier was placed on a piece of the new non-skid shelf liner that you can buy at Walmart, any place that carries shelf liner.

4. So 7 boxes in all, each cake tier on foam core and each tier on s piece of the non-skid liner and placed on the box insert and then slid back into the box.

This is how I transported all 7 tiers 2 1/2 hours away. Then I assembled the tiers using the SPS system (Separator Plate System) - can be purchased from Globalsugarart.com or other websites.

When time came to transport the tiers to the reception site we stacked the bottom 2 tiers and boxed them up as before, then the next 2 tiers, and finally the top 3 tiers. Once at the site we simply placed the tiers on top of the cake stand and made a couple of adjustments and we were done. Absolutely no problems with the cake tiers at all.

Leahs has placed detailed instructions on using the SPS system in a sticky note in the How Do I? forum.

Hope that helps!

pattisos Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the info!
Where did you get the sturdy delivry boxes that you mention?
I would love to take a look at them.

ptanyer Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 6

They are called "wedding cake boxes" by Bakery Crafts. Globalsugararts also carries them, which is where I got mine from. Here is a link to the page they are listed on: http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=872.

Once the cake is delivered and I leave the site, I take the boxes back home and use duct tape to hold the front side up and tape it in place. Then when Iuse it for the next cake, I can lower the front down, slide in the cake and tape the front back up again.

pattisos Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #5 of 6

THANK YOU! This has been very helpful!

ptanyer Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:45am
post #6 of 6

Welcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%