For Those Of You Who Buy Fondant...

Decorating By ybeal Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 3:01pm by cindy1176

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 14

I am a beginner so I buy fondant, so far I've only used Wilton but is there any brand that is better tasting?? Satin Ice or Choco-pan or something??

Thanks for the input!

Eve

13 replies
lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:55pm
post #2 of 14

I've just started using satinice. It's really nice to work with, but the you can't beat the taste of Toba Garrett's homemade fondant. You'll find that in my recipes....really easy to make and wonderful to work with....

Erika2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika2000 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 14

After trying several different products, Satin Ice has been the most consistent for me. However, I did recently make MMF and was very pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to make, how good it tasted and how well it rolled out and covered - just more work if you are doing lots of cakes.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 14

Don't eat the Wilton! It's awful-tasting.....like chemical run-off from a nuclear waste plant. Make your own, or buy something else. Have you tried marshmallow fondant? It's easy and inexpensive to make.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 14

I personally like the choco-pan because it's easy to work with and very tasty. It's not good for modeling, though, so look for something else if you plan on modeling with it. Choco-pan also doesn't get hard like Satin Ice will.

It's all a matter of preference, but just about everything tastes better than Wilton. icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 14

I am a Satin Ice fan, it is softer than Wilton for sure. It can be a little hard to work with sometimes (if its too warm in the house) but other than that I really enjoy it. I hear rave reviews for MMF but the few times I have tried to make it I do not get past this funky "chunky" stage and my arms stop working from kneading so much.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 14

I use FondX - its easy to work with and tastes good.

jenna15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenna15 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 14

I definitely don't like the Wilton fondant anymore after making my own Marshmallow fondant last week for the first time! I used marshmallow fluff to take out the messiness of it and also used my Kitchen Aid with dough hook to mix. It was clean and a lot less work! It was cheaper and much much tastier. I would like to try some other brands of fondant mentioned but I think I am stuck on this MMF for now.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 14

I use Satin Ice. I have tried choco-pan, and it handles well, but I didn't like the taste at all.

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 14

I've ordered some satin ice and one choco-pan to see the differences - I just read a thread on SI and cracking etc. so I hope that doesn't happen to me! Next up - a large Reese Peanut Butter Cup cake for my daughters' friends birthday!

Thanks for the input!

jenna15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenna15 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:32pm
post #11 of 14

Good luck with that! I would love to see pics when you finish!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 14

I use Satin Ice as well but hate the taste. Try out Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade recipe. It's really easy to make. Check out her dvd for the recipe.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:06am
post #13 of 14

Most of the time I use Satin Ice. Sometimes I use fondx!

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:01pm
post #14 of 14

I took a fondant class last night and the other three students and the instructor used Satin Ice. I made Rhonda's Ultimate MMF from this site and out of the four cakes, the instructor was most impressed with mine, not because of anything I did, but the homemade fondant was the nicest to use and cover. It rolled perfectly and was ALOT less expensive than the Satin Ice. The instructor couldn't believe the MMF was better than the other, and she has been doing cakes for thirty years!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%