Wedding Cake Was A Huge Success...huge Success!!!! (Long...)

Decorating By ptanyer Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm by THECAKEPLACE

narfletta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
narfletta Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #61 of 86

BEAUTIFUL! You are an inspiration to those of us who are new to this!! I love it!!! icon_smile.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:11pm
post #62 of 86

WOW! Congratualtions to you. That cake is so beautiful. I have a wedding cake coming up next year and I am flipping out already because I have never dont one before. I'll also be doing the Groom's cake and the Kiddies table (lots of cupcakes and chocolate covered strawberries). This is my biggest project yet and I'm sure I'll be on the message boards just like you were.

Your cake is totally awesome. You truly have a talant that needs to be expressed every day!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:44pm
post #63 of 86

Stunning! You did a fantastic job! Congrats and good work! You deserve to be smiling from ear to ear!

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm
post #64 of 86

it looks amazing!!!! and you should be smiling we should all have a cake like this once in a while where it nearly kills you but the pay off is the best feeling!!!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:06pm
post #65 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

I have a wedding cake coming up next year and I am flipping out already because I have never dont one before.

I did the exact same thing last July when my niece asked me to make her wedding cake. I started researching everything I was going to need to pull this off. Made long shopping lists, made spreadsheets for each recipe of cake batter, icing recipes, calculated how much everything was going to costs, and researched, researched, researched. I thought about that cake all winter long. Kept a folder beside my chair and laptop with all my notes in it. Didn't leave the house for a shopping trip without it. Yep, I'm obsessed icon_lol.gif I think it is normal to wig out a little. Actually I love the planning part. I feel better once I have everything on paper and know that I have absolutely everything (if not a little extra) I need so that when I start I don't have to stop and run to the store because I forgot something. It also helped in knowing what everything was going to costs so that there shouldn't be any last minute surprises. I even planned for the boxes to transport the cake tiers in. Guess it must be my OCD, but once I am prepared I can go for it. I did have a few bad moments as my forum posts will testify to, but mainly I really enjoyed the entire process and was able to get lost in something I enjoy so much. And as a guest at the reception, I got a first hand look at how people reacted to the cake and the taste of it.

The only last minute thing I purchased was the SPS that Leahs praises to the skies. That was probably the best thing I purchased for this cake. Once the separator plates were in place, I didn't worry one little bit about the cake. It was a great feeling to know that that cake was going to stay together - especially when they had to lift the entire cake and cake base to put some support under the cake base! I highly recommend them to everyone. And a great big THANKS to Leahs for promoting that system. Without her insistence, I might have never tried it. Very glad I did thumbs_up.gif

It was a great experience and I am so humbled by all of your comments (blushing). Thank you. icon_smile.gif

ptanyer Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm
post #66 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel1

I understand your hapiness and gratefulness for this site, I feel with God's help and Cake Central I can make any cake icon_biggrin.gif I had a similar experience recently but don't have the pics yet and I still haven't been able to post any of my pics anyways...my next project icon_redface.gif But I had to adjust the design since I can't bake anything larger than a 14" round in my oven and she didn't want a dummy cake layer. I wonder if they have half circle molds for homebakers to do larger layers. Well, congratulations, you are a doll and your cake is stunning!

Thank you icon_smile.gif

They do make half circle pans, here is a link to ones found at Globalsugarart: http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=960.

I'm sure that other companies must carry something like them as well.

Hope that helps!

alvarezmom Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm
post #67 of 86

I'll be doing a three tier heart shaped cake. I hope for now I wont have to do a 7 tier one! Yours was amazing. I'll have to start carrying all my notes and pictures. For my bday my hubby is going to get me a mini netbook so I can carry with me for my cake stuff. I'll be sure to PM you with any questions that I am sure I'll have!

ptanyer Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #68 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

I'll be sure to PM you with any questions that I am sure I'll have!

You are more than welcome to ask me and if I don't know the answer, I will try to help you find the answer. Afterall, I asked my fair share of questions in the months leading up to this cake and they were all answered. Don't forget about good support for the cake. It is essential to your piece of mind! Leahs is so right that SPS is the only way to go!

I look forward to seeing your cake thumbs_up.gif

ptanyer Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #69 of 86

It's been a week since I set the wedding cake up and everything has been cleaned and everything put back in its place. I haven't done anything cake related this week except visit CC and clean out left over ganache and buttercream and put in the freezer for use at a later time.

Guess what? I am feeling a little bit lost icon_confused.gif After months of planning and shopping and then executing the plan and going to the wedding and reception, I don't have a cake in the planning stages or one due anytime soon...and don't know how to act icon_surprised.gif

Does anyone else ever go through that? Almost like empty nest syndrome. Feels like something is missing, but not sure what to do next...maybe catch up on some zzz's and see what comes next.

alvarezmom Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #70 of 86

Not so much empty nest but I am jazzed up about what is coming next. I have two baby shower cakes at the end of this month, and my DH's Bday. He still cant figure out what kind of cake he wants.

This past weekend I made a Twilight cake. I love the series and the movie and couldnt wait to do it. I think it came out really good. I almost didnt show to deliver the cake! I wanted to eat it! LOL

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #71 of 86

Stunningly beautiful cake!!!

ptanyer Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:20pm
post #72 of 86

Alvarezmom - great job on the Twilight cake! You'll have to make one for yourself and indulge! Can't wait to see your other cakes at the end of the month.

chassidyg - Thank you icon_smile.gif

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #73 of 86

Very pretty and HUGE! Way to go!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:18am
post #74 of 86

Very impressive , don' we live for the ohhs and ahhs.

Angela93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angela93 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #75 of 86

Your cake is amazing! If you could, share all your tips and recipes PLEASE! I'm doing my sister-in-laws weddding cake on october 3rd and my nieces quinceaneta cake on october 16th (both to surve 200+) and I'm scared to death! I think I'm pretty good at decorating cakes but I just started getting into it this year so i know i have a lot to learn! I've posted pics of every cake i've done.... nothing like a wedding cake! I'm really not too worried about the decorating part, just the cake recipes and buttercream! i have yet to find the perfect recipes! I tried Indydebi's and it didnt turn out very well.... i obviously did something wrong because it seems to have worked out good for you!!!! and would you mind sharing ur pound cake recipe? i love pound cake but the recipe i have seems to over cook on the top and sides every time i bake it! any tips you could share with me would be highly appreciated! thanks- Angela

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #76 of 86

Would you be so kind as to share your scratch recipes? My family never made scratch cakes so I don't have any tried and true recipes. Most of the ones I have tried are either dry, don't rise properly, oily, or tasteless. I am so tired of experimenting with failed results.

Your cake came out incredible. Congrats on such a great cake.

ptanyer Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:00pm
post #77 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

Very impressive , don' we live for the ohhs and ahhs.

They certainly don't hurt...lol.

ptanyer Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:10pm
post #78 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela93

Your cake is amazing! If you could, share all your tips and recipes PLEASE! I'm doing my sister-in-laws weddding cake on october 3rd and my nieces quinceaneta cake on october 16th (both to surve 200+) and I'm scared to death! I think I'm pretty good at decorating cakes but I just started getting into it this year so i know i have a lot to learn! I've posted pics of every cake i've done.... nothing like a wedding cake! I'm really not too worried about the decorating part, just the cake recipes and buttercream! i have yet to find the perfect recipes! I tried Indydebi's and it didnt turn out very well.... i obviously did something wrong because it seems to have worked out good for you!!!! and would you mind sharing ur pound cake recipe? i love pound cake but the recipe i have seems to over cook on the top and sides every time i bake it! any tips you could share with me would be highly appreciated! thanks- Angela

First, let me say thank you for the compliment! I will be glad to share what I know and what I learned in doing this cake. As for the recipes, I will email them to you.

I saw your cake photos, and I don't think you have anything to worry about - but of course, we all worry about every cake we do icon_smile.gif Just think of it as several cakes that are extra pretty and then are stacked to make a wedding cake.

I will send you a compilation of my posts in this thread regarding details of the cake and if there is anything else I can answer, I will be glad to.

I know that your cakes will be awesome and can't wait to see photos thumbs_up.gif

ptanyer Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:17pm
post #79 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteums

Would you be so kind as to share your scratch recipes? My family never made scratch cakes so I don't have any tried and true recipes. Most of the ones I have tried are either dry, don't rise properly, oily, or tasteless. I am so tired of experimenting with failed results.

Your cake came out incredible. Congrats on such a great cake.

I will be glad to share the recipes with you by PM. One is a family recipe that belongs to my sister, and the other is from Collette Peter's cake books. I know all about failed results on cakes. I lost 6 batches of carrot cake batter when a 5***** recipe posted here on CC turned out to be a disaster! I trusted the rating and I was severly disappointed. I use well known cake decorators cake books for recipe inspirations now and am working my way through all of mine, one recipe at a time.

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:11am
post #80 of 86

Thank you so much. I was just about ready to give up on my scratch quest. Please PM me when you get a chance. I really appreciate it.

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:20pm
post #81 of 86

HOLY C^%#$!!!!! That is OUTSTANDING! I am about to make my first wedding cake next week, and your story gave me TONS of confidence (although, mine will not be nearly as large!!!)

BRAVO, GIRL!

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:25pm
post #82 of 86

Wow! It's GORGEOUS and HUGE!! Amazing! You should definitely be proud of yourself!

nightmoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nightmoon Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:56pm
post #83 of 86

It is AWESOME! Take a bow! Take two!

ptanyer Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:25pm
post #84 of 86

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments icon_biggrin.gif

ptanyer Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:17pm
post #85 of 86

I received an email asking about the royal icing monogram on the wedding cake and thought I would add the information to this thread since it was used on this cake.

The technique for making the monogram is to print out the font desired and in the size you want. Then I taped parchment paper over the letters and outlined in royal icing and then flooded with thinned royal icing. This technique is well known decorators.

However, I took this idea and went a little beyond to add strength and stability to the monogram. After making the initial letters and letting them dry completely. I took some royal icing that I used for the flood work and thinned it down by half. Then using a small paint brush, I painted each letter with the thinned RI and placed on a cooling rack to dry over night. Each night I would "paint" a layer of RI on the letters, thereby building up a thicker layer of RI on the letters. After about a week, I had letters that I could pick up and handle and were no longer extremely thin and fragile.

In order to travel with the RI letters, I purchased a 12" scrapbooking paper storage box, purchased a piece of 12" x 2" foam from Hancock Fabrics and covered it with Press N' Seal and placed in the storage box. Then placed the letters in the box with a small space between each letter and closed the box.

I had made extra letters in case something should break during transit or in setting the cake up. Turned out I didn't need any of the extras. The letters didn't move at all after placement in the box and remained sturdy and stable with no breakage at all.

I was thrilled with the final effect and think it made the letters have an embossed effect to them. Here's a photo of the completed letters:
LL

THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm
post #86 of 86

omg your cake is ginormous it is really beautiful. good job

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%