Hdi Make The Sides On This Cake??

Decorating By Jeannem Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 11:14am by lorrieg

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:19am
post #1 of 12

I've been asked to recreate this cake--hopefully the picture will come through. How would I make the sides so that the fiondant rises above the layer--staying perpendicular?? Could I make collars ahead on aceteate, dry upright, the place on the cake after they dry? Maybe two halves, then cover the seams with the leaves?? Is there an easier way?? TIA
LL

11 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:31am
post #2 of 12

I have positively no idea how to do this, but I would also love to know - this cake is AWESOME!!

just thought I would give you a bump!

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #3 of 12

I would think if you used fondant and let it harden that it would be very difficult to cut and might not taste great. What if you did it withwhite chocolate wrapped around the cake? Or maybe modeling chocolate would be a little stiffer than fondant (not sure)?? Good Luck!

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:06am
post #4 of 12

I made a cake like this and the photo is in my gallery. I used Jennifer Dontz' chocolate fondant and clay. Actually I think I doubled the chocolate. I rolled it out, let it harden for a few minutes and then wrapped it around the cake. I applied appliques and hand painted etc.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:49am
post #5 of 12

Sweetmelissa2007--thanks for the heads up on the hard fondant--never even thought about having to cut it!!
lorrieg--I'll have to test drive the choc fondant/clay. I have a batch already made up of Jen's clay-thats the Merkins and corn syrup, with fondant added--right?? Very good idea!! also, love your photos!! Thank for your help.

lorrieg Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:53am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem

Sweetmelissa2007--thanks for the heads up on the hard fondant--never even thought about having to cut it!!
lorrieg--I'll have to test drive the choc fondant/clay. I have a batch already made up of Jen's clay-thats the Merkins and corn syrup, with fondant added--right?? Very good idea!! also, love your photos!! Thank for your help.

I think I used about 6 pounds of chocolate in that cake. It was stunning.

Yes, it's Jen's clay. icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 12

You could also do a chocolate wrap. There is a sticky in hod do I forum I think.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #8 of 12

Hey Jeanne,
I don't know how to do it but I DO want to see your creation when it's done! ( great for the club's newsletter icon_wink.gif )

KimAZ

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:05pm
post #9 of 12

I would suggest modeling chocolate instead of fondant. It will harden better and taste better when it's time to cut the cake. You can do each layer in two pieces like you suggested and just cover up the seams with the 'stems' and 'leaves'.

lorrieg Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:44am
post #10 of 12

The one I made using Jen's clay and the fondant mix tasted great. And it smelled delish! It was firm enough and yet it could be cut. My edges had to be cut for the petals etc. icon_smile.gif

mayatlan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayatlan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:04am
post #11 of 12

Hi can someone tell me where can I find Jan's clay recipe, Please. I will be very gratefull. Thank you !

lorrieg Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:14am
post #12 of 12

You need to buy her DVD. Don't worry, it's not just the recipe it's full of great ideas and tips. Well worth the money.

http://www.jenniferdontz.com/
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%