Icing Question

Baking By Franluvsfrosting Updated 31 May 2009 , 6:09am by txsteph

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:58am
post #1 of 2

I am not a professional so I don't get to experiment with a whole lot of frosting choices. Usually I have used just a basic buttercream but I have seen so many beautiful cookies on here I wanted to try some of the icings for a nice smooth finish. The first ones I tried icing on were Taekwondo/martial arts cookies (in my gallery). The first time I made them I used Alice's cookie icing and I really like the flavor of it on the cookies. I had used the icing to pipe the outlines on the cookies then thinned it down to flood them. When I did this I used water instead of milk. The icing ended up with little white flecks in it that I am assuming was the fat in the icing seperating. It kind of had a cool, shimmery effect but it wasn't exactly what I was going for.

So the question is, was it the water that caused this effect? If I had used milk instead would this problem have been nonexistent? I did try another icing recipe (Toba's?) that uses corn syrup. I really liked that one too especially since I added a touch of lemon to it and it tasted fabulous with the NFSC I made but it would be nice to know what happened with the first recipe. Thanks for any help (and if you have a wonderful tasting beautiful icing I'm open to it!)

1 reply
txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:09am
post #2 of 2

I do not know if milk would have helped, but did you use warm or cold water, Warm water is best to thin the icing with. That might have been the issue if you used cold. Maybe someone else will know for sure though. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%