First Fondant And Tiered Cake...lots Of Questions

Decorating By cdwrx Updated 31 May 2009 , 5:57am by Rylan

cdwrx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdwrx Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:42am
post #1 of 7

I am attempting to make a 3 tier fondant cake for my daughter's 16th birthday. I would like to know what the best buttercream icing and filling is that doesn't have to be refrigerated? Also, when stacking the tiers should you put the dowels in before or after you put the fondant on the cake? And one more question (for now), can you write on fondant with buttercream icing?
Thanks for any help!

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:50am
post #2 of 7

Hi and Welcome on your 1st post, cdwrx. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble stacked/tiered/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

(Also has popular CC recipes for American b/c, fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC cake with and without oil) and so much more!)

HTH

jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:50am
post #3 of 7

The best buttercream icing that doesn't need to be refrigerated is indydebie's IMHO. Also, dowels go in the cake after it is covered with fondant. Make sure your tiers are level. You can write on fondant with buttercream or royal icing. I have never had a problem with either.
HTH Jen
Don't forget to post pics.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:59am
post #4 of 7

What a great project! I use Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC) and I have no problems filling and frosting under my fondant. I think most CC'ers will tell you any frosting will work, except a whipped cream frosting, which needs to be constantly refrigerated, or a super soft icing as filling that won't hold the layers on each tier.
I just do a crumb coat on the outside, to smooth in the gaps and smear over any exposed cake (cake is first trimmed around the sides to get them even). I then put the rolled fondant on, trimming and smoothing as normal. I let it sit for a little while to settle. Right before I start stacking, I put in very large plastic straws rather than dowels -easy to cut and they are bright colors for servers to find when cutting. I get them at a local restaurant supply store in the bar supply area. I've seen royal icing and buttercream piped on fondant. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

cdwrx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdwrx Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:11am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for all the tips...I hope the pictures are worth posting. My first concern was making the fondant. I tried 3 recipes from this site before I found one that actually worked. I thought I had it made then but now I keep thinking of other possible problems. I have one week to get it right!

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:19am
post #6 of 7

IMHO???? Her crisco based BC?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:57am
post #7 of 7

IMHO= In my humble/honest opinion.

I would suggest Indydebi's recipe if you only have Crisco. I also, suggest you add the dowels after laying fondant, that way it is perfectly level.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%