Silly Question But I Need To Know

Decorating By merciermom Updated 30 May 2009 , 3:49am by Rylan

merciermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merciermom Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 3

HI!!! this may be one of the silliest questions posted.... icon_redface.gif When someone orders a custom cake; some of you use styrofoam, RKT as part of the structures. What does the customer do with this stuff??? do they eat the RKT parts??? I am very new and have not gotten to that level yet but have always wondered about this... And have wondered if I got a cake like that what the heck am I suppose to do with this stuff?? Sorry if it sounds soooooo amature!!!! BUt I just cant stand not knowing this anymore!!!! icon_cry.gif LOL!!!! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

2 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 3

The idea of using RKT is to mold it into something that you couldn't use cake for. Cake would be too soft. Like say you needed a skinny brick wall as a back drop. You could just use a piece of wood or cardboard and paint it, but it would be cooler if you can tell your clients "And it's ALL edible too!" I've heard of people using RKT to make the pour spout for a teapot cake. That would be attached to the cake and it would still be lighter than solid gumpaste/fondant so it wouldn't fall off or sag.

The subject of if it's normally eaten or not I think depends on who you're giving it to. Plus it's just a lot off your mind so you don't have to explain to your client what parts of the cake are edible and which ones they should just throw away.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:49am
post #3 of 3

I dont sell cakes but I prefer everything to be edible. As mentioned above, it will all depend on who you are giving it to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%