Help! I'm A Fondant Virgin!!

Decorating By Amymnn Updated 30 May 2009 , 3:37am by Amymnn

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, I admit it, I'm a fondant virgin. I've never worked with it. This week, I have a major mountain to climb. I have two 3 tier cakes (also never have done those) and I need to do some fondant accents. (The cakes will be buttercream) One is a music cake and I will need to make music notes. The other cake will need a microphone-type headset to for a sports broadcaster. I know I'm crazy, but I've set aside three kid-free-caffeine-induced days to pull these cakes off.

So can someone please give me a crash course in the do's and don'ts of fondant? I'll be making MMF. I made a test batch last week with my mixer (using the dough hook) and it came out great. But the next morning I went to experiment with it and it was dry and cracked. icon_confused.gif I had wrapped in tightly in saran wrap but it's smooth appearance was gone.

I could desperately use your expertise here. Would I be better off using fondant or Rolled buttercream for these cake accents? I know I have the potential to learn things the hard way here (like every fondant virgin) but I'd appreciate you giving me some guidance?

Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 5

I have a friend who told me that she finds it best to use the fondant right after making it. I personally use Satin Ice because I'm sure I'd hate making fondant. I suggest you get Jennifer Dontz's DVD because she has a great recipe in there.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 5

Add a bit less icing sugar when you are making the fondant. You don't always need all of it. It is OK if it is a bit sticky the first time you wrap it in plastic . Just coat it with some shortening.

When you take it out the next day, it shouldn't be dry and cracking. You may have to add a bit more icing sugar if it is really sticky. You can also coat your hands with shortening and mix into the fondant, this will often take away the sticky feel.

If the fondant is too dry, knead a bit of shortening into it. I also coat my hands with water and knead this in to make the fondant more workable.

When you are making the recipe add 1 tbsp glyserine to the liquids before mixing. The glycerine also helps the texture.

Amymnn Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much for all the information icon_smile.gif
I'll definitely add the glycerine and try your suggestions.
You are so kind and helpful icon_biggrin.gif

Amymnn Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:37am
post #5 of 5

What is the general opinion on Satin Ice vs. MMF? If it's just as good, or better, I'd rather go with Satin Ice rather than trust my own MMF. Also, is it about the same price, or is it cheaper to make MMF? Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%