How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?????

Decorating By Gloria72777 Updated 31 May 2009 , 1:23am by blondeez

Gloria72777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gloria72777 Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 11

I am new to cake making and I know I have A LOT of questions but, I need help with this. I haven't actually charged anyone for my cakes and my DH said that I had better make some money soon. I made this abby cadabby cake it is home made chocolate cake with butter cream under fondant. The sizes are 10 inch and 8 inch double stacked. The abby cadabby and the old fashion suckers are hand sculpted.

Thanks so much, Gloria usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gificon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 11

I looked at it in your photos and it would help to know the sizes. I have been doing this a while and I still have trouble pricing to actually make it worth my time. If I know the person well, I list out all the ingredients and their prices and show them what the ingredients alone add up to. Then they usually pay me more than I have the heart to ask for. I would be interested to see what other posters say.

Thanks,
Sarah

Gloria72777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gloria72777 Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 11

I guess a pic would help.....LOL
LL

cata29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cata29 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 11

From what I've heard they always say to add up the all the material and charge that times 3.

example material $20.00 x 3

Hope this helps icon_wink.gif

melhoneybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melhoneybee Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 11

First of all, nice looking cake. icon_smile.gif As far as pricing, wow, materials times 3 ?? I would make NO profit if I did that! You have to not only consider the ingredients, but also electricity, rent (if you have it), liability insurance, medicare/social security, paper towels, cake board, etc., etc...see what I mean? Also, what about YOUR time?! It looks to me that these cakes are a 10" and an 8". If that is correct, personally for this cake I would charge around $180.00. icon_smile.gif

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 11

don't forget the time it takes to make those little figures and added extras that are on the cake.

cata29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cata29 Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 11

just like i said "thats what I have heard"

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:12am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cata29

From what I've heard they always say to add up the all the material and charge that times 3.

example material $20.00 x 3

If I did this I'd have gone bankrupt years ago.

katta87_2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katta87_2005 Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 11

Persoanlly i'd charge 60 to 80. The two tiered cake I did the lady paid me 80 but i felt like she paid me too much. I think it's different if you own a buisness compared to it just being a hobby, as far as pricing goes.

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #10 of 11

I have only baked for money twice. The first cake I felt I was paid fairly, plus it was a co-worker and I was invited to the party. thumbs_up.gif The second cake, however, was for a co-workers daughter. I only did it 'cause she said she would pay me. It was a 25" x 18" white cake with fresh strawberrys and strawberry glaze filling. Every inch of the top was covered with chocolate dipped strawberries with white chocolate swirls, and the whole cake was drizzled with white and dark chocolate. Also, I used Pastry Pride frosting. Now, I know this may not have been too complicated, but I am a perfectionist and it looked perfect! I also delivered it to the party about 20 miles from my home.

I told her to pay me what she felt was fair, and a month later she handed me $30. I was speechless. I have never made another cake for pay for anyone ever again. If I ever do, I will agree on a price up-front. If I feel it doesn't come out perfect, I'd be willing to knock off a little, but not much. I spend WAYYYYY too much time baking and decorating a cake to be paid so little. That was about 9 years ago and I still get steamed by it! icon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gif

So basically, I agree with everyone else...get what you feel your time and supplies are worth, mostly your time (time away from hubby, children, relaxation, CC website, favorite TV shows, etc.) icon_lol.gif

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:23am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupcakenameddesire

First of all, nice looking cake. icon_smile.gif As far as pricing, wow, materials times 3 ?? I would make NO profit if I did that! You have to not only consider the ingredients, but also electricity, rent (if you have it), liability insurance, medicare/social security, paper towels, cake board, etc., etc...see what I mean? Also, what about YOUR time?! It looks to me that these cakes are a 10" and an 8". If that is correct, personally for this cake I would charge around $180.00. icon_smile.gif

I would say that 180.00 is a good price. I work for a bakery and starting price on a 6 and 8 stacked cake starts at 129.00 for buttercream only, that price doesn't any include any decorations. All the fondant you have on that cake and sculpted figures would easily go for 200.00+.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%