What Sizes Are Wilton Flower Gumpaste Cutters?

Decorating By sara72 Updated 29 May 2009 , 6:26pm by sara72

sara72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara72 Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 8

I am going to attempt to make some mini fondant/gumpaste flipflops for some cupcakes due Monday. I am looking for some 1/4" or smaller flower cutters to put where the straps meet. Here is what I am trying for:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65668398@N00/576949083/

I don't have time to order anything online. The only thing that is available locally is the Wilton 32 Piece Floral Collection Flower Making Set:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001A7RJS8/?tag=cakecentral-20

I cannot find anywhere that shows what the sizes of the cutters are. I was wondering if anyone has this set and if so, could you please let me know the size of the smallest cutter? Thank you very much.

7 replies
melissad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissad Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:06am
post #2 of 8

The 32 piece set may work for you. I just checked mine, and the smallest, five-petal cutter is right around 1/4" across. The rest of the cutters are quite a bit larger, but may be useful for future projects.

Another thought, the flowers in the sample pic almost look like the flower-shaped "sprinkles" you can buy. Maybe those would work...

sara72 Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:25am
post #3 of 8

thank you! Yes, I thought the rest of the cutters definitely looked like they would be useful for future projects, and I would like to have the set.

I didn't even think about sprinkles. That's a good idea - I will check and see if I can find some flower ones.

Thanks again.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:06am
post #4 of 8

Those really tiny flowers and the stars look like they might have used a scrapbooking punch, especially the one with the big separations between the petals. I've got a scrapbooking punch I use for fondant that does the same flower, and mine is a medium size, but I've seen smaller ones. Sometimes in Target's dollar section they've got some punches and those work great for fondant too.

I've had the wilton 32 pc set for about 10 years. It's great to have. The little wooden tools that come with it are junk and the rose petals are too small to make a real rose, but I use everything else in it a lot.

Here's a picture of some tiny cutouts I made with the scrapbooking punches (the pink flowers on the loops, and the stars on the dress).
LL

sara72 Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:58am
post #5 of 8

your Hello Kitty topper is adorable. I didn't even think of using scrapbook punches. I'm definitely going to head to Target and check them out. Thank you very much for the idea!

claribelcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
claribelcakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:06pm
post #6 of 8

You could try and make little ribbon roses which don't require a cutter at all. Something similar to the ribbon I put on this little girls headband and shoulder straps. It's just a very small thin strip of gumpaste thats rolled around itself.

*CUTE HELLO KITTY!!!!!!
LL

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 8

I used a scrapbook punch to make little frogs for a bathing suit and it work great. I got mine in a $1 basket at Michaels.

sara72 Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 8

the little girl is so cute! Doing the ribbon roses is a great idea - I am going to give it a try.

Thank you so much to everyone for your replies. I am very new to decorating and I have been lurking here for awhile but was nervous to post. I'm so glad I did - I got a lot of great ideas that I wouldn't have thought of!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%