Covering Refrigerated Cake With Fondant And Satin Ribbon

Decorating By Julie0902 Updated 29 May 2009 , 4:32am by Rylan

Julie0902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie0902 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 2

I originally came on here to get instructions for covering a fondant cake with ribbon and then read a post about only covering cakes at room temperature and am now freaking out.... I am making my first four tiered wedding cake for Saturday. I baked the cakes Tuesday and Wednesday. The cakes that I baked on Tuesday, I put in the freezer. Yesterday, when I was done baking, I took all the cakes out of the freezer, stacked the individual tiers, leveled them and put on a crumb coat of icing on. I then put all four tiers in the refrigerator. I just finished the bottom tier, which I took out of the fridge, put another layer of buttercream icing on, covered in fondant and then put back in the fridge. I was hoping to do this to all layers today and then leave in the fridge until Saturday, when I was going to stack and cover with the ribbon onsite. Is this wrong? Do I need to have the cakes at room temperature before covering with fondant or does that only pertain to frozen, not refrigerated cakes? I am already lying awake worrying about this cake being perfect for the bride and groom. Please help this newbie with the cake. I'm afraid if I leave them all at room temperature, the Atlanta heat and humidity will ruin them before Saturday and I really don't have time to wait until Saturday to cover them with fondant. I can wait til tomorrow (Friday) but that's it. Thank you so very very very much for any advice and help.[/b]

1 reply
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:32am
post #2 of 2

I've have covered a semi-frozen, cold and cakes at room temperature with fondant without having problems. Plus I always refrigererate my cakes. Some people get problems... I'm just one of those people who don't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%