The Best German Chocolate Cake?

Baking By mandyloo Updated 28 May 2009 , 2:36pm by DeeDelightful

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 9

I am looking for a great german chocolate cake/filling recipe. Yes, of course, I looked in the recipe section, but I was just wondering if any of you had a favorite? I don't like coconut, so I don't have a go to recipe for this, but it's for a family member's (big) party this friday. Thanks so much in advance!

8 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 9

I always use the Baker's Sweet German Chocolate recipe on the Baker's chocolate box. it's good to me. i'm not sure if you can do German Chocolate without coconut. maybe you can use less coconut by making a "skimpy" version of the coconut pecan filling/frosting, spread that on the cake, like a crumb coat, then cover in chocolate ganache. that might be good. all the classic flavors will be there without being overwhelmed by coconut and nuts.

mandyloo Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you very much. I will be using coconut, I just won't really know by tasting if it's good or not, since I'm not a fan. icon_razz.gif

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 9

This is a recipe that I got from my boyfriends sister. Their mother made this recipe for many, many years. I'm not a German Choc Cake eater, but this stuff is good icon_lol.gif

1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup white sugar
3 egg yolk, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
1/2 cup margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup flaked coconut

In a large saucepan combine evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, margarine and vanilla. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick. It takes about 15-20 mins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in pecans and coconut. Spread on cake while still warm.

mandyloo Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:19am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlyKat

This is a recipe that I got from my boyfriends sister. Their mother made this recipe for many, many years. I'm not a German Choc Cake eater, but this stuff is good icon_lol.gif

1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup white sugar
3 egg yolk, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
1/2 cup margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup flaked coconut

In a large saucepan combine evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, margarine and vanilla. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick. It takes about 15-20 mins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in pecans and coconut. Spread on cake while still warm.

Thank you! This is what I'll use to fill the cake (it has to be a smooth farm scene on top). Wish me luck! icon_biggrin.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:25am
post #6 of 9

I've made German chocolate cake with IMBC--it was lovely.

mandyloo Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:31am
post #7 of 9

so, I've decided to go w/a box mix for the actual cake...I usually add a package of pudding and an extra egg...any other ideas to "doll it up" a bit?

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyloo

so, I've decided to go w/a box mix for the actual cake...I usually add a package of pudding and an extra egg...any other ideas to "doll it up" a bit?

I use the box mix too. I only make the icing part...so I'm interested in ways to improve too.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 9

Well, the scratch recipe calls for buttermilk and the Baker's German Chocolate. Maybe you can replace the water in the box mix with some melted German Chocolate and buttermilk. I would think that would kick it up a bit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%