Stresing Bout Wedding Cake! Help Please!!!!

Decorating By Harabekah Updated 27 May 2009 , 2:15pm by bashini

Harabekah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harabekah Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,
I am officially freaking out about making a wedding cake for this coming saturday. first the wedding is in MI so I have to make the cake there instead of my home in SD. I already made the fondant and bc so that should help... but i'm scared cuz the cake needs to be driven an hour away from where i will be making the cakes at. Also, I don't know if I should just assemble the cake when i get there? (reception area) I'm afraid of messing up the fondant when i try to place the cakes on top of the different tiers. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have stenciling on the sides, but since it does i won't be able to smooth the sides down. First time doing stenciling so i can't wait to do it til i get there, too much pressure for me. I just don't know if I should just assemble the three tiers before the hour drive or if I should wait to assemble until i get there? Help please! I've never had to drive a cake that big that far so i'm worried. Please give me all your words of wisdom. I need them! Also, if anyone has a good royal icing that is chocolate or something chocolate for stenciling please give me your recipe. I have a recipe for chocolate royal icing i found on net but since it's not from cake central, i'm hesitant to use it. icon_smile.gif Thanks in advance!
Rebekah

2 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 3

Boy I don't know what to say, first what kind of support system are you using? I have traveled with cakes for a hour alot and they do fine. But I have the stress free supports and trust them totally. How big is this cake matters too. I dont like to do them on site, something about people being around me when I am trying to do it bothers me. Makes me feel rushed, but alot of people do it just fine. I have done the stencil on the sides and it is pretty easy, I was a little scared at first to try but it worked fine. It was white on white. Are you needing the RI to be choc or just a dark brown, I would just color it with a recipe you trust. I would say if you could leave with it early and finish it when you get to your destination you may feel better. Sorry for no answers, surely someone else with have some good advice. Good luck.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 3

Hi Rebekah, If you are not sure about transport the cake already assembled, take it to the venue and assemble. Are you using bubble tea straws or wooden dowels as the support? When I stack cakes, I push the straws/dowels half way through and take the next tier and keep it on the dowels/straws, and let it sink in by itself. So there is less chance of messing the fondant. But make sure you take an emergency kit incase you need to do some touch ups.

I know loads of decorators use the SPS system, but I can't comment on that as I haven't used it.

And also sorry I can't help you with the Royal Icing recipe as I rarely use it. How about melted chocolate or candy melts? Have you seen the articles posted on CC? I saw there are two great videos on stenciling. Have a look at them. It might be helpful.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%