How I Did Color Graduation/answers About My Tropical Fish

Baking By TracyLH Updated 27 May 2009 , 4:58pm by sweetideas

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 9

I have had a couple of people ask me to address how I did some of the aspects of my tropical fish cookie that I recently posted

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1374505

So here it goes
Regarding color graduation, I outlined it first. Once dry I worked about 2 vertical areas at a time, using four different orange/yellow shades in approximately the same range. I started with the top deepest color, then immediately did the next shade and so on down the fish. As I did it, I moved the tip up into the previous color so that it appeared to blend more, vice be a straight line. I kept going so as to not allow one area to dry that would be connected with another along the bottom. I did the same concept of blending with the blue striping. For the top fin, I piped blue at the top, then yellow directly below and used a toothpick to mix it together to create the green and the swirl effect.

If you are going to do color graduation, use a relatively fluid RI as that is key. However, dont make it too fluid as it can sink in small areas when dry.

If you are using a #2 to outline, it is paramount that you do not pipe one area on one side of the line and then immediately do another area just to the other side of the line. Think daisy petals, for example. When I first did daisies, I used a #2. I learned rather quickly that I needed to fill every other petal and let those dry. Then I went back and did the others. If I did petals side-by-side with a #2, the color has a tendency to bleed over that line and connect. Not a good thing. icon_sad.gif You can use a toothpick to try to pull it off of the outline, but it never looks quite right and just wants to creep back over.

So let it dry between areas or another solution to this problem is one that I do a lot now and was given to me by Bakinccc use a bigger tip! Problem solved and it is much faster to fill party.gif (where would I be without Jennifer?). This encouragement from her to work in a larger tip size has really influenced what I do, but this fish was done before she and I had chatted about tip outline sizes. I am just passing this on as this was done with a #2.

The fish cookies were fun to do, but were an insane amount of work, but with each cookie I learn new techniques or ways to do is faster/better next time. Hope this helps for those that were wondering about the color graduation and #2 outlining! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 9

What a great explanation Tracy! Thanks so much! I went back and looked at your fish with each explanation you gave. You are cookie INSANE (I say in a loving way!) I didn't even realize there were FOUR graduated colors in the vertical lines! I can't even imagine how long these cookies took to make...but they are amazing! While you were explaining about using a bigger tip to outline, I was thinking, "just use a bigger tip" LOLOL and then you said that Jennifer mentioned that to you. Great minds think alike! icon_smile.gif
I was wondering which tip size she suggested is best for the outline? I was thinking maybe a #4. Is that TOO big? I was just thinking if the outline was nice and tall, then you could just flood up to the halfway line of the black outline, and it would still show and not get covered and prevent it from flooding to the "other" side of the line. (I hate when that happens lol)

And FYI, I was cruising cookie site (yes, again) and there are fish cookie favors in a wicker reel basket on "Cookies and Cream" that look a lot like the designs that were in the "Fancy Flours" Spring Catalog, and they are selling them for $9.50 EACH, with a four minimum. So I know yours are worth BIG BUCKS too! Thanks again for taking the time to some
"splaining" to the rest of us!

Joanne

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 9

thank you so much for that explanation! I really appreciate you sharing your talent and the "how-to's!!"

thanks again!

~Bonnie

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 9

You can tell just by looking at those fish cookies that a master did them. An insane amount of work, yes!!! Beautiful...beyond words. You don't get that level of eye-popping awesomeness by cutting corners. At least most of us here can truly appreciate the work and dedication that Tracy put into those cookies. The uninformed masses will look at them and say "cool!", but they'll have no clue what it takes to create such beauty.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 9

Tracy! Thank you soooo much for helping us!! I have never tried doing the variations like you explained but now I look forward to challenging myself to try it! And mostly thank you for explaining the black outlines ... for that I have tried and tried to get mine to work - like I see so many of ya'll do .. and I just COULD NOT get mine to work ... my secondary color ALWAYS went over the black outline!! I have frustrated myself MANY a day tring to get it to work!!! OM Goodness! I NEVER thought to use a bigger tip!!
You have truly been a blessing to me, always taking the time to help and teach!! So with sincere grattitude .. Thank you!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 9

Glad to help! That is what we are all here for! icon_smile.gif

Joanne - I am a bit short on time so I can't look up the PM (way too many in my box!), but Jennifer was definitely recommending a large size than I had been doing. Hopefully she will see this and jump in, but I think the largest she said was a 5 (but I might be wrong), but I know she said a 4 for certain. I recently did some large gerbera daisies and did a 4 and was really happy with it. I did a 3 on some other smaller flowers (I will eventually get them posted and I will try to remember to write the tip size) and was happy with those as well. It just depends on how predominant you want your outlining to be.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 9

[quote="GeminiRJ"]You can tell just by looking at those fish cookies that a master did them.quote]

It takes one to know one. thumbs_up.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 9

I am truly impressed. These are beautiful cookies!

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 9

Wow, your cookies are beyond amazing. Thanks for all the technical advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%