Fondant Stars

Decorating By chickey7669 Updated 28 May 2009 , 10:43pm by chickey7669

chickey7669 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chickey7669 Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:11am
post #1 of 5

Hello all...i am a kinda a cake newbie and i am needing to make a cake with fondant stars for the top of the cake...what type of sticks or wire is best used for that....any help would be awesomeicon_smile.gif

4 replies
tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:22am
post #2 of 5

I just did a wedding cake with fondant stars. See my pics. I used 22 gauge wire, and the #1 settting on my kitchen aid pasta roller, so they were pretty thin. I used FMM star cutters, uhh I think it was the smaller of the 3 cutter set from Global Sugar Art. To put them on the wires I used gum glue (a piece of gumpasted dissolved in hot water). Just dip wire in gum glue and insert into star, then lay flat on parchment to dry. The topper is made with a by inserting a posy pic and floral glue into the posy pic.

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:54am
post #3 of 5

I did a cake with stars and used spagetti noodles. I put a star on each side of the noodle. I've read you can dip the noodle in melted choc if you want to cover the exposed noodle.

I once read it's not recommended to put any sort of wire in a cake?

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:01am
post #4 of 5

Before using posy pics, I would insert drinking straws into the cake and put the wires (sometimes with a little royal icing) in the straws.

chickey7669 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chickey7669 Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 5

thanks for the great suggestions i will try the 22 gauge wire..thanks for gain i will post picture of cake when its done...next weekend! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%