What Are These Cake Toppers Called?

Decorating By ThreePrinces Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 3:37pm by kellylynn322

ThreePrinces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreePrinces Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 11

I see them a lot on Whimsical cakes, they are metal spirals jutting out from the cake. I saw this photo on here as an example:

I hope it's ok that I posted that, it was in the gallery (and absolutely stunning!!) I didn't know how else to describe what I was referring to.

So, what are they called and where can I get some?

10 replies
tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 11

The bakers make them. You get floral or ss wire of different gauges and insert them into the cake (use straws in cake like coffee stirrers to hold them in place) and then slide balls of fondant or gumpaste in the design that you want. you can curl the wire or bend it more geometrically or whatever you like and then just slide it on. HTH

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 11

I just use jeweler's wire when I make mine. I don't think you can buy the wires already curled up or anything. I get my jeweler's wire on a roll (like you would buy sewing thread) at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I then use my pliers to manipulate it into the shape I want. I wrap the part of the wire that will be pushed down into the cake in floral tape.

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

(use straws in cake like coffee stirrers to hold them in place)

Thank you for that. You learn something new everyday!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirechic

The bakers make them. You get floral or ss wire of different gauges and insert them into the cake (use straws in cake like coffee stirrers to hold them in place) and then slide balls of fondant or gumpaste in the design that you want. you can curl the wire or bend it more geometrically or whatever you like and then just slide it on. HTH

Ditto! icon_smile.gif

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 11

i have also seen these done w/ crystals or charms hanging off of them. which i always thought as a neat idea - great little party favors!

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 11

Welcome to cc ThreePrinces.
That is floral wire with gumpaste or fondant balls. It might even be 50/50 gumpaste/fondant.
It is not food safe to insert them in cakes. You can place coffee stirrer or straws (cut to height of cake tiers) into the cake and stick wires into straws. Pipe some royal icing in straws so when it dries the wires will be stable. The lower #gauge wire is the thickest(for heavier decorations or when you want your decorations sticking straight up) The higher #gauge is the thinest (for when you want to bend or make curliques out of)

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:47pm
post #8 of 11

I'm just wondering where do you all buy your wire? Also is the wire with the paper on it food safe (GSA sells it)? I have use it in the past and didnt use a straw. Is that a mistake?

ThreePrinces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreePrinces Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you all so much for the info!! I will make a trip to Joann's when I'm ready to make this cake. It's a bridal shower cake with a Mad Hatter theme (I thought that was interesting!) and so I"m going to make a whimsical looking cake. I've also never made a topsy turvy cake so this is a big challenge for me!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:29pm
post #10 of 11

Good luck! and definitely post some pics for us!

kellylynn322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellylynn322 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavaglieri

I'm just wondering where do you all buy your wire? Also is the wire with the paper on it food safe ( sells it)? I have use it in the past and didnt use a straw. Is that a mistake?

I was wondering this myself since this is what the cake supply store that I went to sold me when I asked. It never dawned on me to ask if it was food safe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%