Has Anyone Used Dream Whip?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 27 May 2009 , 1:12am by cylstrial

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 16

I wanted to know what is it and where to get it. How does it taste?

15 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 16

It's a powder that you can mix with milk to make whipped topping. There are some cake recipes that call for it.

To me, the best use for it is in Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream (you can find the recipe on this website).

They have it in the baking aisle at the grocery store, usually near the gelatin or near the cake mixes depending on the store. It's a little pricey...I pay almost 4 dollars for 4 packets of it.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 16

It is basically a powdered whipped cream mix. I have used it in my cake batters and in my buttercream. It just kinda makes everything taste a little better without actually making it an entirely different flavor. Hope that makes sense.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 16

Dream Whip is a powdered whipped topping mix, available in grocery stores.
It is made by Kraft Foods, the same company that makes Jell-o, and is located next to the Jell-o in the store.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 16

I use it in bc! Sooooo yummy!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 16

I use at least two cases a month of it. I add one envelope to every cake mix and add about 1 envelope (+/-) for every 4 lbs of powdered sugar in my icing.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 16

i just used it this past weekend to make chocolate mousse for a filling. That's one of the major ways I use it, as a filling in some way shape or form.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 16

Not to hijack the thread or anything, sorry you can PM me if you want, but is this the same thing as Bettercream?

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Not to hijack the thread or anything, sorry you can PM me if you want, but is this the same thing as Bettercream?

No, I don't believe so

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 16

I took the inspiration from Indydebi's crisco based icing and used Dreamwhip in my butter cream icing. (I don't care for the taste of all crisco based icing). I have it listed in the recipe section and it's called doctored butter cream dream. It is so good and I think it's the dream whip that adds that "something" to it. I could (and sometimes do..lol) eat it with a spoon!!! YUM!!

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:10pm
post #11 of 16

dream whip is powdered, bettercreme is liquid.

JCE62108 Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:19pm
post #12 of 16

lol ok guys wishful thinking. I dont think I can get bettcreme around here so I was hoping for an alternative.

If you use the dream whip in icing does that need to be refriderated? Or is that only if you add the milk to it?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:27pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:

lol ok guys wishful thinking. I dont think I can get bettcreme around here so I was hoping for an alternative.

If you use the dream whip in icing does that need to be refriderated? Or is that only if you add the milk to it?

I use dream whip AND milk in my icing and I never refrigerate it.

And just to be sure you know, you don't make the Dream Whip into whipped topping when you add it to the cake/icing. You just pour the powder itself into the batter/icing.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:28pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:

No, it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

JCE62108 Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:43pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I use at least two cases a month of it. I add one envelope to every cake mix and add about 1 envelope (+/-) for every 4 lbs of powdered sugar in my icing.

lol thanks, hon, I saw your explaination. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:12am
post #16 of 16

I use Dream Whip in IndyDebi's buttercream! It's so good! It's the only thing that I've ever used it in though. I bet it would be really good in other things as well. The box shows a chocolate mousse on the outside. I love chocolate mousse...so who knows. Maybe I'll give it a whirl!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%