How Do I Achieve This...

Decorating By Tita9499 Updated 27 May 2009 , 11:13pm by poohsmomma

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:17pm
post #31 of 55

I love those cricuit things! My brother actually suggested that to me...

I wanted to sell those monogrammed cookie favors for weddings and he thought that would get me a perfect monogram.

On sale...I've seen $199. Too many dollars for me right now..but they seem very cool!

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:23pm
post #32 of 55

How about an edible image? My local walmart will print my picture of choice for about $8.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #33 of 55

It looks really cute! I can't wait to see it when it's done!

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:37am
post #34 of 55

Thanks so much for all the help and suggestions. You've all been so great, I'm actually a little overwhelmed at all the choices I have. I'll sit down these coming days and try out some of the techniques to see which works better for the cake. Thanks again!

cavette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cavette Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:57am
post #35 of 55

I just got my Cricut last Friday! The dollar amounts are up there but you can make payments if you go through the Cricut website or HSN where I got mines! It worked out good cause I didn't have that kind ofmoney to give at one time! But I think it's a great tool for Baking! Good Luck I'm sure everything will come out great!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:05am
post #36 of 55

I would do FBCT..

Print the word in Mirror image . Pipe over it on wax paper, freeze, then apply to the cake.

Easy Peasy Mac & cheesy .... icon_smile.gif

Tita9499 Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:27pm
post #37 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

I would do FBCT..

Print the word in Mirror image . Pipe over it on wax paper, freeze, then apply to the cake.

The only downside? I live in El Paso (the desert) and it's going to be mid-June outside ceremony.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:57pm
post #38 of 55

I say write it in Royal Icing!...Practice writing!..you have time!!!..lol..Honestly, after you get used to writing
with the bag, nothing ie easier. But then again, you got to get good.

You can use an extruder, but it will be time consuming.
Print the lettering on paper, put wax paper on top, and just follow the letters with the piece of fondant. You can let it dry on top of a dummy so it takes the curved shape or even the pan.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Tita9499 Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:03pm
post #39 of 55

Okay, Edna, I'm going to practice (but I'm still going to make the letters) in case I screw it up. I have no idea why I'm so bad at doing it. I guess like you said, practice gets you better. Since I do such a horrible job, I don't bother to do it.

JaimeAnn Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:07pm
post #40 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

I would do FBCT..

The only downside? I live in El Paso (the desert) and it's going to be mid-June outside ceremony.

I am pretty sure if you use a good stiff consistency of Wilton recipe icing it would hold up...

But if Edna says RI, I would go with that..

(She is my cake Hero/Goddess) icon_biggrin.gificon_redface.gif

tonedna Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:08pm
post #41 of 55

Just make sure that if you do them in Royal Icing, you have a good consistency, if it's to runny, it will be too brittle.
And use athicker tip. Maybe a 4. The tip really depends on how big you want the letter to be and how much pressure
you put in the pressing the bag. So try a few tips until you find the one that you like the best.

Have you ever thought of printing a nice lettering and doing it in Colorflow? It would work too.

By the way Jaime Thanks..and yes wilton buttercream does holds well in hot weather..Thanks for the complements!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Tita9499 Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:52pm
post #42 of 55

Yeah, I think I'm going to go that route Edna. I need to get over my "Side-Piping Phobia". icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:56pm
post #43 of 55

Just for reference, I still have that fobia!..
Edna icon_lol.gif

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:07pm
post #44 of 55

You could also buy/make some stencils of the letters you want, cut them out of acitate paper and buy the wilton spray paint color and just spray paint the stencils on the cake!
I just tried it yesterday and it worked awesome.

Tita9499 Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:09pm
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_lol.gif

icon_surprised.gif No! Not Edna!!!

Thanks for the tip, but for the record (and I mean absolutely no offense to anyone), I really don't like using any of Wilton's products. I've been burned too many times.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:18pm
post #46 of 55

I was thinking maybe you can buy a foam dummy the same size as the teir with
the writing and lay it on it's side and make sure it doesn't roll away on you...
Attach your printed out font of choice to the foam, then parchment or wax paper over that so you can see the font still and then use the royal icing to trace your message and then paint let dry and use on the cake...heck..if you can cut a piece of the dummy off making one side flat then it does not have the option of rolling...and then you can use it again when you need it for the same thing another time too! Good luck though!

tonedna Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:31pm
post #47 of 55
Quote:

Quote:

Edna icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the tip, but for the record (and I mean absolutely no offense to anyone), I really don't like using any of Wilton's products. I've been burned too many times.

lol...I bet you I can show you how to workk most of those Wilton products and you will see they sometimes do work.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_smile.gif

Tita9499 Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:34pm
post #48 of 55
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Edna icon_lol.gif

lol...I bet you I can show you how to workk most of those Wilton products and you will see they sometimes do work.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_smile.gif

Can't make 'em work if they're BROKEN...I'm telling it's like my arch enemy.

Tita9499 Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelebrationCakery

I was thinking maybe you can buy a foam dummy the same size as the teir with
the writing and lay it on it's side and make sure it doesn't roll away on you...
Attach your printed out font of choice to the foam, then parchment or wax paper over that so you can see the font still and then use the royal icing to trace your message and then paint let dry and use on the cake...heck..if you can cut a piece of the dummy off making one side flat then it does not have the option of rolling...and then you can use it again when you need it for the same thing another time too! Good luck though!

That's an idea!

I was trying to figure out how to keep the pan from rolling on me while I was piping. LOL!

I love your signature line too, that's exactly how I feel when delivering a cake.

tonedna Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:01pm
post #50 of 55

Haha...You have to figure to do the same with the dummy.. They roll too. But is definitively a good idea
to have one. Every decorator should!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Tita9499 Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #51 of 55

Yeah, but like she said, I could cut the dummy in half and there you go!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:36pm
post #52 of 55

Print the font in reverse, then trace with RI onto a piece of glass (like one out of a picture frame). Once dry you'll have your own press.

JaimeAnn Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:05pm
post #53 of 55
Quote:

Quote:

Edna icon_lol.gif

I like using the Wilton recipe icing for things like flowers and FBCT .. It holds up very well even in heat.. I am in Bakersfield Ca. where summer days are about 108 degrees. Shoot we hit 105 here on April 21st..

I don't use any of their premade products(fondant, gumpaste, icing) I just don't like them. But their recipe for buttercream works great for decorations.

tonedna Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:09pm
post #54 of 55
Quote:

Yeah, but like she said, I could cut the dummy in half and there you go!

I just cant do it! icon_cry.gif I dont like to damage my dummies icon_cry.gif Does that make me pathetic.. icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:13pm
post #55 of 55

I like to print out a document with a font I like. (Print it in reverse) Then I lay it under some acetate and pipe over it with royal icing. When it dries press the acetate into the buttercream. I then use the impression to guide my BC piping. I have done this on the side of a 10" round cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%