How Do You Assemble Petit Fours?

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm by becklynn

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:53am
post #1 of 23

The other topic got me thinking about the horrible petit fours I made a few months ago. I want to try it again badly, but have been nervous to. Can you guys tell me step by step how you assemble, fill, and frost petite fours? I would like to hear of your personal techniques.

22 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:23am
post #2 of 23

freeze, freeze, freeze

JCE62108 Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:25am
post #3 of 23

Ah. I didnt do that. I suppose that is why they fell apart.

Do you frost the little squares with BC first? Or do you just pour your icing right over the cake?

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:36am
post #4 of 23

when I did my petit fours I just coated them with poured fondant.

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:51am
post #5 of 23

There is a really great photo tutorial on this blog!

http://joepastry.web.aplus.net/index.php?cat=34

JCE62108 Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:53am
post #6 of 23

Thank you for posting that link. I think Ive seen that one before though. I think Ive had petit fours with BC before and I dont really see the point in the marzipan. Is it just to make the top smooth? Does marzipan taste good?

I have tried a poured findant recipe that didnt work for me at all. It was on the Witon website. It was so thin it just soaked into the cake. I was thinking of using chocolate to coat it next time. Does anyone use chocolate to coat their petit fours?

Do you put an apricot glaze over them before they are iced?

cjlpn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjlpn Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:17am
post #7 of 23

You can also cover them with white chocolate. I added a tablespoon of oil to melted white chocolate and dipped them in after they were assembled and frozen. They turned out wonderful.

bekahzzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahzzz Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 23

I use the method in the posted link, but i pour the fondant over, and then let them set and then dip the bottoms in chocolate. Gives it a better finished look.

The marzipan is to help the top be very smooth, it also is for extra sweetness and overall flavor. I think Marzipan tastes good....its just almond and sugar. I also think the marzipan helps stabalize each indivual cake after you cut them.

I would agree about the freezing. After the cake layers and marizpan are assembled....FREEZE! I usually freeze overnight and have something heavy on top to weigh them down to give a smaller and more even look. Makes it much easier to cut the individual shapes.

KoryAK Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 23

I assemble like that tutorial shows, then do a small layer of buttercream to get the tops flat. Freeze and cut and freeze again. I make the poured fondant recipe off of allrecipes.com, heat it more than it says there until it's thin enough. Set up a glazing rack on raised off of a sheet pan with a bucket or something and get a toothpick or shortened bamboo skewer. Pull a few PFs out of the freezer at a time, skewer them upside down, dip into the fondant upside down and place on the rack by poking the bottom of the skewer thru with the hand you are holding it in, grasping it with the other hand, and pulling it down and free. In about 10 min the fondant will be set up enough to handle and you are done. Goes soooo fast this way.

JCE62108 Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:38pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I assemble like that tutorial shows, then do a small layer of buttercream to get the tops flat. Freeze and cut and freeze again. I make the poured fondant recipe off of allrecipes.com, heat it more than it says there until it's thin enough. Set up a glazing rack on raised off of a sheet pan with a bucket or something and get a toothpick or shortened bamboo skewer. Pull a few PFs out of the freezer at a time, skewer them upside down, dip into the fondant upside down and place on the rack by poking the bottom of the skewer thru with the hand you are holding it in, grasping it with the other hand, and pulling it down and free. In about 10 min the fondant will be set up enough to handle and you are done. Goes soooo fast this way.

Great idea! Thanks! I think I will try your method next time I do these. I like the idea of using buttercream on the top layer. I can just smooth the top with a scraper, freeze, and it will probably turn out just as smooth on top as marzipan. Thank you thank you!

EDIT: I just thought of another question, is there a standard size for these? I have seen them about 1.5 inches or so. Just curious if there was a standard.

KoryAK Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:03am
post #11 of 23

I think 1x1x1 is the standard, at least that is what I do. Sometimes I do larger (like 2x2x2) and I call them petit-fives icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:10am
post #12 of 23

Do you put a little cake board under the petty fours? Or no? Thanks!

KoryAK Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:13am
post #13 of 23

Nope, I just put them in a little muffin-type cup.

FuturamaFanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FuturamaFanatic Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:38am
post #14 of 23

Wow, that link was so helpful!! And that is a great tip with the skewers KoryAK!!

I worked for an employer who told us to cut 1inch squares 1/2 inch thick, smoosh them together with buttercream and then cover them with ROLLED fondant. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE!! Oh, and did I mention it was fresh cake?!!?! It was just a mash of crumbs and buttercream held together by fondant once I got it done! Horrible!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:10am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Nope, I just put them in a little muffin-type cup.

Thanks Kory! thumbs_up.gif

turnereaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnereaux Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:37pm
post #16 of 23

This link is so helpful! Thanks for this discussion thread.

What would you charge for a petit-four order (per item)?

JCE62108 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm
post #17 of 23

Where I work they charge .75 a piece, and they arent even handmade. We squirt a rosebud on top with a leaf and that's it. I was thinking if I was going to do it from home Id probably charge something similar. No less, that's for sure. If a grocery store can charge that then I can charge that or more!

KoryAK Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:10am
post #18 of 23

I charge $2.50 apiece.

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:44am
post #19 of 23

Kory- When you dip them, do you get crumbs in the poured fondant?

KoryAK Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #20 of 23

No, because they are frozen icon_smile.gif

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:11pm
post #21 of 23

Thanks!

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:50pm
post #22 of 23

Here is another tutorial on Petit Fours that I tried - they came out great!!

http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/2008/01/lisas-easy-petits-fours.html

Good Luckicon_smile.gif

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #23 of 23

Here is another tutorial on Petit Fours that I tried - they came out great!!

http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/2008/01/lisas-easy-petits-fours.html

Good Luckicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%