Extended Height Tiers

Decorating By cakesweetiecake Updated 26 May 2009 , 12:51am by __Jamie__

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:24am
post #1 of 5

Is there an instructional or thread on cakes that have the extended height? Are there any extra precautions that should be taken when stacking these cakes? An example of a cake would be this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazycakeco/2753269547/in/set-72157602063624049

Also, do you know what the height and size of these tiers might be?

Thank you!

4 replies
jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:36am
post #2 of 5

Sometimes it's the photo that makes it look taller. But I have done three, 2 inch layers that..once your add filling and icing will make it about 7 to 7 1/2 inches tall. Nothing special, just dowel well...not too close to the edge of the cake.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:41am
post #3 of 5

That pic doesn't look any taller than 4 1/2 maybe 5 inches. Which is easy to accomplish by using 1/2 foam core. I do it all the time. There really isn't any need to make the cake portion of the tier outrageously big, otherwise, it'll fall over when you slice it, and what plate would it fit on? I think the pic makes it look bigger than it is.

I would say it is a 6" on top of a 10" if they are regular size pans. Otherwise, a 5 on a 9 maybe.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:45am
post #4 of 5

Thank you both for your very quick responses!

Jaime - for the foamcoare, I am assuming that the cake sits on the same size board and you ice all the way down?

Jeking- that makes sense! Thanks!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:51am
post #5 of 5

I pretend that the foam core is just an extension of the cake. Like hidden stilts in your shoes or something. It gets iced just like as if it weren't there, so yes like the cake. And I cover with Glad Press and Seal to be food safe.

A hot knife works well (so I'm told, mine sucks when it comes to the 1/2 inch stuff, awesome for the thinner board), and also a good box cutter with a long blade. Trace around a cake circle, or the lip of the cake pan, or the base of the cake pan, depending on how thick you want the icing on the side of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%