Grease & Flour Pans?

Decorating By AntBee Updated 26 May 2009 , 12:51am by __Jamie__

AntBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AntBee Posted 25 May 2009 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 7

Do you have to grease & flour ALL cake pans?

What happens (do you know the science) of it if you do not grease & flour?

Does anyone only grease their pans?

Thanks for your experience and information!

6 replies
endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 25 May 2009 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 7

I love that spray stuff that greases and flours at the same time. Ever since I started using it, I almost never prepare pans "the old fashioned way" any more. So quick and easy!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 May 2009 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 7

I have greased-only-no-flour'd my pans for over 30 years. They rise higher. I found that a floured pan leaves a layer of "baked flour" on the bottom of the cake, resulting in crumbs in the icing. A greased-only pan gives you a great, smooth cake surface.

My theory, and it is no way scientific in any way, whatsoever: A greased-only pan allows the batter to easily slide up the sides of the pan, giving me the "Rises higher" effect. A floured pan inhibits the batter from being pushed up the side of the pan as the flour "grabs onto" the batter and kinda holds onto it, inhibiting it from rising as high.

I've done demo's and talks in schools and I've taken samples of "this cake was baked in a greased pan and this cake was baked in a greased/floured pan" so they can see the extra height they get when they don't flour.

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 25 May 2009 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 7

I grease only and almost always use a peice of parchment paper cut into the shape of the pan, then I spray (with Pam) the pan, lay in the paper, and spray again. Loosen the edges, the cake comes right out and I peel the paper off.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 25 May 2009 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 7

i bought a set of nice teflon pans and my first cake for class 1/4 stuck to the pan, so now i grease and flower. years ago i read in betty crocker it's like a table spoon of crisco and then dust with flower and they come out perfect

AntBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AntBee Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone icon_biggrin.gif

I have made the decision that I will not flour at all and test it.

indydebi

You may have it right! Another poster said they get a higher cake by not flouring the pan, and it was scientific so you were right on with what they said. Thank you very much~

I will let you all know how the cake turned out tomorrow!

Blessing to all

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:51am
post #7 of 7

Ooooooo...gonna try this next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%