Ideas For Where Is Waldo Graduation Cake?

Decorating By acperry Updated 26 May 2009 , 1:10am by endymion

acperry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acperry Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 11

I have a Where is Waldo cake for a graduating high school boy, we are serving sheet cakes, but he has a running joke about Waldo and has requested the main cake to be Waldo. Any ideas are appreciated!

10 replies
sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 11

Would it be ok to put a Where Is Waldo pic in edible, maybe his favorite?

acperry Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 11

He has requested more of a 3d cake, so...

acperry Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 11

any ideas? please!
The character is so thin I am unsure about trying to do just him standing and was leaning to more of hiding Waldo, sort of like in the books. TIA

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 11

how about a n open book or just a book cake with a miniature waldo or even several characters so it's like a real where's waldo. or you could make a small bookcase like 2 shelves high and decorate it like there's books on it and a bunch of waldos poking out

acperry Posted 25 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 11

[quote="yamber82"]how about a n open book or just a book cake with a miniature waldo or even several characters so it's like a real where's waldo. or you could make a small bookcase like 2 shelves high and decorate it like there's books on it and a bunch of waldos poking out[/quote]
I like the idea of the bookcase. Thanks icon_smile.gif

The "joke" about Waldo is this boy would go to school functions, i.e. games and dress as the Waldo character and sit it the crowd and the friends would try to find him. So I am trying to think of something very creative to work with this joke. Any ideas?

yamber82 Posted 25 May 2009 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 11

oh , lol well than you can do any function he has gone to. ask his friends or fam what the most memorable one was. if it was like a football game or soemthing than do a football feild or bleahers or something. if you do seveal figures i would keep them pretty simple looking.

i know you siad you were mostly doing cupcakes, so what if you displayed them on a stand and put people toppers on them all and one with waldo?

acperry Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:46am
post #8 of 11

I think I will do the bleachers as the main focus with the fans, and Waldo hidden in the amongst the fans. My question is how? I have looked thru the gallery and there are not many examples and the ones that are there, I would not be able to get the details of Waldo or the fans. (most of them are m&m or nerds for the fans). I am looking for suggestion on how to minimize the work but get the details right. Al
Thanks

want2bcupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
want2bcupcakequeen Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:55am
post #9 of 11

That's funny what he did. What about using M&Ms as the crowd and putting white stripes on a red peanut M&M that is stuck in the middle of regular M&Ms? You could take Waldo glasses and stick them flat on the cake and make eyes behind them.

yamber82 Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:03am
post #10 of 11

website's acting up a bit.... anyway, there are several ways you can do it, first off, save some pix of bleachers, preferably cartoon ones, to use as references ont he details.

you can do a simple 3 tier rectangle that is flat on the back and in the front make each layer go in more than the one under it so it's basically the shape of some steps and there's your bleachers and ad some people. or you can do a tiered round cake. make the top tier the speaker box and the bottom tiers as the bleachers. make hand rails out of gp to seperate off some seating. that should work out really well. make a big score board for the topper and some advertisement signs for around the very bottom to make it look like it's really in a stadium. and put some little fan flags with the school team name in a few of the people's hands. you could even do some of them with their faces painted the school colors. i would keep the details on a larger more cartoonish scale. and you don't have to make a ton of people if you don't want to spend all that time.... or you can make faces etc and stick them on the sides of the layers instead of doing them 3d. that would also save you some time

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:10am
post #11 of 11

Since it is a graduation cake, it might be fun to have it be at a graduation ceremony -- everyone in caps and gowns, and Waldo's gown unzipped a bit to reveal his famous striped shirt peeking out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%