Topsy Turvy Help!! How Do I Put The Layers W/o Messing Up My

Decorating By Normita Updated 26 May 2009 , 3:40am by KoryAK

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 11

So this weekend I did a 3 tier TT. Boy was that a challenge!!! It was bc with fondant accents. I had so much trouble putting on each tier without messing up the icing. Is there any special way to do this...or do you stack the cake before you ice??? I almost had an accident with this cake....not enough support under each tier and it started to crack. Live and learn....Any suggestions will be helpfull icon_smile.gif

10 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 11

Me, I don't do TT cakes that aren't fondant icon_smile.gif. Once the fond and all-butter buttercream and fully chilled I can pick up the cake by the sides and manhandle it in.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 11

I'm with Kory. If it's TT, it's fondant. Period.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 11

I have only done them in buttercream (one 2 tier and one 3 tier) I didn't have too much trouble (the first one was the 3 tier and I learned a few things on that one) I am sure it is much easier to do in fondant though. I just don't get folks that will order fondant cakes much.

Cutting the hole big enough was my only trouble, once I got that figured out, it went fine. (I have only done those 2 though, so I am not an expert by any means!)

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks everyone. Thats what my hubby suggested..."If you had done it in fondant it would have been easier to do". I am pretty sure it is easier to do, however I know not alot of people like the fondant texture

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:03am
post #6 of 11

It doesn't matter much to me whether or not they want fondant, it's the fact that they want a topsy turvy, and if I would make it, and expect it to look good, I would insist that it was fondant. They can peel it off. It's like the old "can you duplicate this (insert fancy a$$ pic of heavily detailed fondant cake here) in BC?" Next thing ya know....you're on Cake Wrecks...and not the Sunday Sweets edition if you know what I mean.

And CONGRATS to Edna who was on Cake Wrecks this past Sunday! Woo hoo!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:38am
post #7 of 11

I think the cakes I did in b/c looked nice, and the folks who ordered them loved them. I try to expand my horizons and do things a tad beyond my comfort level to keep learning. (I am in no way as good as a lot of people on here - but I keep on swimming!!)

If the first one you tried didn't turn out how you wanted it to, just wait for an opportunity to try again - I learn something new from every new thing I try!

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:16am
post #8 of 11

Most of the TT cakes I did were in BC with fondant accents. There's a couple of them in my photo gallery. I use IMBC and after frosting the cake, I place it in the freezer until the icing is firm. This way it will buy me some time to manipulate the cake.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:53am
post #9 of 11

if you leave your supports stiking up a bit and let the tier descend down slowly on them, you will mess up your icing less.

HTH

dinoscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinoscake Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:00am
post #10 of 11

look cakejournal.com

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:40am
post #11 of 11

For those who don't like fondant and want some look that needs it, I just tell them to think of it as a candy shell.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%