Who's In Springfield Il?

Business By leah_s Updated 28 May 2009 , 8:32pm by leah_s

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 10

My stepdaughter just got engaged. What can you tell me about vendors and venues in Springfield?

9 replies
pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 10

One of my best friends is a wedding planner there. I can ask her if you want! Just let me know..or I can give you her email so you can have your daughter ask directly. icon_wink.gif

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:04am
post #3 of 10

Leah, disregard my last post! I am working on little sleep right now! I thought you said Springfield OHIO icon_redface.gif

Sorry! I need to take a nap!

leah_s Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:13am
post #4 of 10

Oh, I understand. I'm the Queen of sleep deprivation.

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 10

Hey Leahs. I live 25 miles west of Springfield. It is a medium size city. There is a few very nice hotels that seem to have weddings there. The Crown Plaza. I actually used to work there. The Hilton, Renniassance (sp). Those would be the suitable ones for ballroom type receptions. And they are downtown. I believe there is another hotel called Route 66 and I have been to a wedding once there. Pretty decent ballroom. It's more on the quiet outskirts of town. I always liked going to that one because it has easy parking, and not so hectic being surrounded down town. As far as catering there would be Lance Poe, Turasky, Hamiltons, and Nelsons. Those are probably the major 4 bigwigs that I see at everything I have been too. All springfield businesses. There are a few cake shops in town. Specialty Cakes is the only one that I can think of that is in Springfield. I know there are a few others though, and they do lots of different bakery items. The above one focuses more on cakes though. And I am liscensed too. lol But I figure you will probably be doing the cake right? Oh and for flowers I would choose Pleasant Nursery. They are a landscaping business that also has a gift shop and full flower dept. I used to work there too, and they did my wedding. They are very thorough with their work and have done tons of weddings. It's early.......and my brain is fried! If you would like to email me with any specific questions about a certain venue, I would be more than happy to help you anyway I can. Good luck to you. Mindy

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:44am
post #6 of 10

Hey, maybe the governors mansion is available now, snort! icon_rolleyes.gif

I lived in Springpatch IL for 20 years. Believe me, there isn't a whole lot to choose from. Also, try the Springfield Art's Assoc. They have several beautiful rooms to rent. The Crown Plaza is very nice, have been to several events there...food was very good...as Mindy1975 noted there are the downtown hotels and they are ok. There is a lovely old mansion called the Brinkerhoff where alot of very nice small affairs can be held. The Panther Creek Country Club or the Illini Country Club are also possibilities. I have an acquaintance who owns an herb farm out in the Petersburg/Salisberry area who has a small rustic type facility and a kitchen is available, it is called The Farm. Weddings in Springfield are (or at least used to be...) low key. I am used to the big bashes in Chicago where I am from. I have been gone from Springfield for over three years, so things may have changed since I have been back home. I will be visiting there as Mom is still in the Rochester area this June. If you need someone to check out some things for you, let me know.

Oh, as far as cakes go...Mindy1975 is right...when I left there were perhaps three places that made custom cakes...there isn't ONE bakery like we "know" bakeries in that town except for the crapola you get a wally world or sams or the supermarkets. Ugh. When my Mom got married about four years ago we went to a cake shop on Stevenson drive...can't remember the name. Mom had her heart set on the Martha Stewart snowflake wedding cake, and the gal said she couldn't do that cake, and something like everybody want's "Martha" stuff and it was all fakey for the photo shoots. My mom's cake had plastic snowflakes all over it...they were all the same size and the cake looked really tacky.

Mindy1975 Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:32pm
post #7 of 10

Great thoughts Rocketmom. I didn't even think about the country clubs. A lot of my Brides are getting married in Jacksonville these days and having their receptions at that Hamilton's Reception place. And you are right......kind of low key in this area. ANd I would have thought that "the place on Stevenson" would be able to pull off that type of cake. I have never heard one good or bad opinion on that place. Well, let's see, my sister in law got her cake there, and they didn't secure her topper very well, and it broke right down the middle between the bride and groom. I also remember getting a dirty look from them when I delivered the groom's cake. I'm sure at that time it wasn't up to their standard! lol But it's the only non-walmart/sam's bakery that I know in town. I know there are a few bakers around here that do it under the radar, but I know I'm one of the very few that is liscensed in the Springfield surrounding area. I know there is another bakery in Springfield, but I can't remember. Is it Secret Recipes? In Chatham?? And there was a new cake place just opened up in Jacksonville last month. Don't know the name of that one either. OH well! Anyway, nice to see someone on here local!

leah_s Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 10

Wow I had the idea that Springfield was bigger - city, and I'd find similar wedding stuff as in my city. huh. I see a lot of online brides talking about the Lincoln Museum as a wedding venue. And I do see Nelson's mentioned a lot as a caterer.

Mindy I may ask to impose on you to assemble a cake . . . I'll pay you in SPS.

Mindy1975 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 10

Hmmm.......that sounds interesting! lol How many tiers do you think it would be? I've never used the SPS before. Are you not going to come to the wedding??? icon_surprised.gif

leah_s Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 10

Of course I'm going to the wedding. But I did 22 cakes for my Daughter's wedding, so one large one for Stepdaughter should be a piece of cake. It would be delivered to the venue early.

We haven't got a clue how many she's thinking about inviting. We're hoping it won't be tooooooo big, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%