Question About Freezing A Carved Cake

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 25 May 2009 , 4:04am by sweet_creations96818

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 4

Question, I have my first pirate ship due next Monday the 1st. I work every day between now and then until midnight, so the more I can do ahead of time, the better.

Today is Sunday, I'm off today and tomorrow. Can I bake, torte, carve and freeze this cake until say next Saturday for completion? It would be torted or layered with simple buttercream (not yet crumb-coated, unless you all think I can also get away with that prior to freezing). I've never frozen a cake ahead of time so I'm not quite sure what the 'rules' are.

Thanks in advance for your help!

3 replies
pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 4

Yes! If possible, you might want to bake, torte, freeze overnight(or at least a few hours), then carve and crumbcoat. Freezing first makes it SO much easier to carve! Either way, you can definitely freeze it until then. Just make sure to wrap it really good in saran wrap!
Most of my cakes are 3D, and I freeze them all due to my schedule. The only cakes I don't freeze are uncarved or wedding.
Good luck!PM me if you need anything else!

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:55am
post #3 of 4

Yes you can! I do it all the time. I know that Charm City Cakes make a big point of never freezing cakes but I have never had any complaints. I have a full time career outside of caking, a family, kids you know, life. I almost always bake at least 3 or 4 days ahead of time. I frequently bake the weekend before and then freeze. Even unwrapped a cake does execllent in my upright freezer for a week, wrapped up tight a month. I find scuplting cakes is easier once it has throughly chilled. Good luck!

sweet_creations96818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_creations96818 Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:04am
post #4 of 4

I have never frozen one other than to carve it. But I agree with the other posters it is SOOOO much easier to carve a frozen cake than not! Be sure to post your pics when you get your ship completed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%