Thin Pieces Of Fondant For Graduation Cap Tassle?

Decorating By tomswife Updated 25 May 2009 , 2:59am by BabeyCakey

tomswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomswife Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 7

How do I make the thin strands for a tassle? Thanks for any input! : )

6 replies
djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 7

I believe there is a tool you can buy at Michaels, etc. called an extruder (?) kinda like the play-doh fun factory...you press it thru the plate w/ the holes in it....not done it myself but have seen the results of people doing it...interested to see what others say. icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:52am
post #3 of 7

yes, i use a clay gun. easiest way for sure.

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:05am
post #4 of 7

I just did one, the first picture in my pics. I ended up using Wilton Fondant and cut thin strips with a pizza cutter, kind of scrunched the top of them together. I tried MMF and gumpaste, but they kept breaking when I hung them.

Hope this helps.

Vicki

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:11am
post #5 of 7

For all the tassels I did this grad season I used my pasta roller to get the fondant thin (like #5). I did a sheet of both colors needed, laid them together (ok if they stick) and then cut and gathered strips.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:27am
post #6 of 7

I have used a garlic press with great success or use a good clay gun, not the little silver one or you will kill your hands.

BabeyCakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabeyCakey Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VS8894

I just did one, the first picture in my pics. I ended up using Wilton Fondant and cut thin strips with a pizza cutter, kind of scrunched the top of them together. I tried MMF and gumpaste, but they kept breaking when I hung them.

Hope this helps.

Vicki

That's what I did with MFF and gumpaste. I worried about the strips breaking, so I just kind of draped them across the top of the board instead of letting them hang.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%