Red Mmf And Airbrush. Help!

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 27 May 2009 , 5:52pm by yamber82

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 6

i am trying to make red mmf for 2 cakes. i have had serious issued with coloring the mmf dark colors. i made some yesterday and tried adding cocoa powder to it first to get it darker than adding red food color, but it turned kind of a pukey red. i thought about adding some black but wa afraid i was gonna screw up the whole texture. last time i made a dark colored fondant i almost had to throw it away it was so messed up. i also thought about just making it white and than sparaying it red after i put it on the cake. i don't have an airbrush btw, i have only used the color sprays int he cans. wilton i think. are they different? i have used the spray on fondant, bc, and whipped cream icing and everytime it seems to pool or run just a tad. it's almost like the icing can't catch on to the food color spray. does that make sense? anyway, is the regular air brush method the same?

5 replies
practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 6

for deeper colors (red & black) I have airbrushed white fondant to achieve these colors. I find it much easier than kneading all that color into the fondant. I have an airbrush, and have never used the colors in the cans, but I do believe it is much like the effect of using airbrush. As far as the colors running, the same will happen with an airbrush if the color is put on too thickly. You should apply the color in thin coats, letting each dry before the next. the overall color will darken with each coat.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 6

NO--the canned sprays from Wilton will not give you a deep red.
Spray too much and it will run down the mmf. And you would have to buy LOTS of those little cans.

On another note, I have started buying my fondant in the deep colors...red, black and hot pink. Saves time.

SarahsSweets2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahsSweets2006 Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 6

When I order fondant, I usually order: White, black and red. BLack and red fondant require SO MUCH COLORING, it's not worth my time having to tint it. I am in the market for an airbrush though. The main problem with ordering red and black fondant is that it costs so much more than the plain white. I haven't used those Wilton spray cans but from what I hear, they are terrible. www.globalsugarart.com sells fondant at wholesale prices. Give it a look! Hope this helps.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 6

If you are making the MMF add your coloring to your MM BEFORE adding any powdered sugar. Takes a lot less color, and you get a true red. (or other dark colors) When you add the PS it will lighten up a touch, but not much. And by the time your color sets up i will darken anyways.

I have a black cake in my photos that I added black to the melted marshmallows and then added powdered sugar. It worked great.

HTH (this is the only way I color MMF when dealing with dark colors)

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 6

thanks for the advice!!! i was hoping my red mmf would get darker after sitting in the fridge for a few days but i just got some out to experiment with and it was still a funky kind of color. i rolled out a small piece and sprayed some wilton red spray on it and it only took a tiny bit to make it actual red but it made the mmf look lumy i think. as far as the consistency, the last time i made hot pink, it was the perfect color, but when i was trying to roll is out it sort of just fell apart and i was afraid that would happen this time so i tried to only add a small amount of color. i won't really be able to tell how it turned out til i roll out a big piece but it seems like it may have done the same thing again just not as bad.

i will def have tp try adding the color to the mm first b4 the ps. i did buy a big tub of black fondant from gsa but i don't wanna have to do it a lot cuz that gets expensive. i can buy wilton fondant locally with coupons i get all the time for very cheap. they have colored fondant too but you have to buy it in a pack with several other colors which is really stupid. i only use the wilton fondant for decorations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%