Trouble Coloring Gumpaste

Decorating By Vicki77 Updated 22 May 2009 , 1:50pm by Vicki77

Vicki77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vicki77 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone!

I'm trying to color Wilton premade gumpaste a dark blue (my friend wanted sapphire or navy blue daisies). The problem is that I have to add so much color to achieve the dark hue that my gumpaste is getting really sticky. I still need to add more color to the batch of gumpaste to get it the shade that I'm looking for (I'm using Wilton royal blue and Americolor navy). Would adding gum tex to it firm it back up?

Any other suggestions? This is for a friend's wedding cake and I want to make sure that everything is perfect icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

4 replies
charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 5

Had the same problem last night with fondant...I needed a dark turquiose. I also add teal and navy blue...not convince it is close enough yet. Anxious to see what answers you get.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 5

A light dusting of corn starch! Then a little Crisco on your palms if you need to balance out the cornstarch effects a little thumbs_up.gif hth

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 5

Knead in some powder sugar to firm it up..... it will lighten again so you will need tons of color.

Vicki77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vicki77 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 5

Great, I'll try that - thank you! I was quite a sight to see last night, trying to pick big globs of blue gumpaste off my blue stained hands. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%