Freezing Cake

Decorating By caincakemaker Updated 22 May 2009 , 7:35am by Momkiksbutt

caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:45am
post #1 of 5

Ok, I spazed out. I had to rent square pans for the wedding cake I am doing for Monday. I could only have the pans Wed. Thursday so, I baked filled and crumb coated all the layers and just put the last one in the freezer 1/2 hour ago because I was afraid something might happen to the layers and I would need another cake but wouldn't have the pan. Here's my question(s) a: please tell me they will be fine by Monday (not really a question, I know) b: should I put some plastic wrap over the now hardened crumb coat while they are in the freezer? There is nothing else in the fridge or freezer so I am not worried about the cake "taking on" any foreign flavors. Thanks so much for your help/suggestions!

4 replies
JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:15am
post #2 of 5

I am NO expert....but, just to give you some "support" icon_lol.gif I think they will be fine! I would probably cover them with some kind of plastic wrap....only to keep them from drying out. I have also read that putting them in a cake box is good. Don't worry...it's going to be OK. icon_biggrin.gif I froze 35 little stand up bears for a few days both iced and not iced, and they were great! Good Luck!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:32am
post #3 of 5

Ask Cakepro. If I am not mistaken she did 80 cakes at a time and froze it.

caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:01am
post #4 of 5

Thanks a bunch. I am feeling better now. I am going to saran them and go to bed. Looking forward to the next phase. It is my first square fondant wedding cake, yikes!

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:35am
post #5 of 5

I can help you with this. You need to make sure that you have wrapped your cake tightly in plastic wrap before you put it in the freezer. It will not take on the freezer smells. Take it out the night before you decorate it, keep it wrapped until it is completely thawed. If you unwrap it before it thaws it will dry out. The moisture will evaporate. Keeping it wrapped prevents that and it makes the cake more moist. Moist is good! icon_smile.gif

I have frozen many tiers at a time, many times. You should be fine doing this too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%