Newbie Here--Need Some Help

Baking By cwpowerdime Updated 22 May 2009 , 3:43am by rlc23

cwpowerdime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwpowerdime Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:31am
post #1 of 8

I took some Wilton classes years ago, did some cakes for family, but haven't done any in about 4 years. Now it's hubby's birthday and we're going to a party on Saturday (his BD) and I'd like to make a yellow cake with chocolate icing to take.

I don't have a KA mixer. Is there a BC recipe that is good that can be made without a KA?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris

PS I've been lurking and I think everyone's cakes look soo delicious!!! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #2 of 8

Actually people have made buttercream even without a KA mixer. Although it would probably a pain in the trunk.

My KA broke last week and good thing I made cream cheese buttercream from designmeacake.com

It was really good!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 8

Do you have a hand held mixer? The Choc. recipe on the Hershey Coco can is very good.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:40am
post #4 of 8

For a long time I didnt have a kitchen aid mixer and I used the wilton buttercream recipe. You can find it on wiltons website, but if you look in the recipes section, you should be able to find many many recipes that dont require a KA. Good Luck on your new cake adventure!!!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:43am
post #5 of 8

I've made buttercream with a hand mixer before. It's not that bad. Your arm might get a bit tired, is all.

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:43am
post #6 of 8

I DONT HAVE A KA MIXER EITHER AND I USED THE RECIEPE FROM THE BACK OF C&H POWERED SUGER PACKAGE AND IT WORKED FINE. HERE IT IS...
-1LBS POWERED SUGER
-1/4 TEASPOON SALT
-1/4 CUP MILK
-1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
-2/3 STICK BUTTER
iF IT IS A LITTLE TO STIFF I ADD A FEW MORE DROPS OF MILK HTH....GOOD LUCK

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:44am
post #7 of 8

Before I got my KA I used my Oscar hand mixer to make all my icing.

rlc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlc23 Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:43am
post #8 of 8

I made the wilton buttercream forever before I got my KA, but make sure to use a 1/2 cup of butter and a 1/2 cup of crisco, instead of all crisco, or its gross. And just for another plug for KA mixers - I LOVE mine! I use it all of the time, not just for cakes, but in everyday cooking and baking too. Totally worth the investment!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%