Cupcake Tower

Decorating By kates_kakes Updated 28 May 2009 , 10:27pm by kates_kakes

kates_kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kates_kakes Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 13

I am going to be making a cupcake tower for about 50 cupcakes. I have been reading on cc about the construction of cupcake towers and have a few questions.

Most of them are made with MDF and PVC pipe. I'd like to do at least three tiers and was wondering what size MDF i should make my tiers? Also after the board has been cut can I just use regular spray paint to paint them? And last question how exactly do i connect them with the PVC pipe?

Thanks so much!
Katelyn

12 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 13

I've never made one before... If you don't get an answer here, you might try the cupcake forum! Hope this helps!

kates_kakes Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks for the bump. i posted in the cupcake forum and got one reply so far. Thanks again!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 13

well i don't know much about them, but my son's fiance is thinking about cupcakes, i know you can not use regular spray paint. i found a web site that has really reasonable and nice cake stands, we're looking for something that resembles a cake and not so spread out. it's called orange novelty, we were looking at the 6 tier personally by the time you get all the stuff to make it and the time factored in it cheaper to just buy one, gezzzz the lazer cut cut cupcake papers are beautiful but expensiveeee.

babyhugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyhugs Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:48am
post #5 of 13

You can make the cupcake papers out of a 10" dollie. There's a pic of this in my photos, it works and looks great! I can't remember who posted them but there's directions posted in the template section.

ninatat Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:55am
post #6 of 13

oh ok ya know i was wondering if they could somehow be made. i've done crafts since in my 20's not so much anymore, i do henna, nail art, and now cake decorating. Thanks so much wow those look just like the ones on the sites, i'll have to show her if she decides on cupcakes, i can't believe they look as nice as the ones pre-make

kates_kakes Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:13am
post #7 of 13

Love the dollie's. I want to do something like that so I will look for the template. I will be doing these cupcakes for a bridal shower so I want to make them look super cute but super classy and elegant at the same time. I will look at pre-made cupcake towers but the cupcakes are due on the 30th so I don't have too much time!
Thanks again!

ninatat Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 13

hi can you tell me where the template if when you find it, i'm going to buy some doilies and see if i can paint one, i'll let you know if it works. Thanks

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 13

I sent you a pm on how I did my cupcake stand!!

ninatat Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 13

oh thanks so much

kates_kakes Posted 23 May 2009 , 10:18pm
post #11 of 13

Here is the template for the doilies.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1232780.html

Hope it worked!

ninatat Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:28pm
post #12 of 13

Hi thank you for the template, it's great.

kates_kakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:27pm
post #13 of 13

Woo Hoo! Got my stuff for my cupcake tower today. Found a glass one on here in the template section and decided to go with that. Got a glass platter, entree dish, and dessert dish at Walmart. Then got dessert cups to go as my center. I think it is going to turn out great. Got everything for just about $10. Will post a pic when I get it done in case anyone wants to see. I will be putting it together tomorrow.

Katelyn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%