Am I Right In How To Make This Cake

Decorating By cakesbyjulie2 Updated 24 May 2009 , 1:40pm by cakesbyjulie2

cakesbyjulie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjulie2 Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone

A potential client wants me to make this cake for her wedding minus the roses and fondant I have 2 questions

1. I can't remember what to put behind the ribbon so the buttercreme does not soak through?

2. It look like each layer is on a little bigger board then it is size and I was going to add a litle pearl boarder ????

I have attached the picture let me know what you think . Thanks

Happy Baking

Julie
LL

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 6

Some people iron wax paper to the back of the ribbon... Some line the back with clear tape... However, the method that seems to generate the most positive comments is rubbing down the whole ribbon with Crisco. It will change the color of the ribbon, but you'll never have to worry about grease spots.

Now, for my own personal $.02... I'd make a fondant ribbon. The thought of a textile on a buttercream cake is icky to me. icon_smile.gif

It looks like they've used scalloped edge separator plates. If you decide to go that route, consider placing each tier on its own board so your plates can be returned in good condition. Don't want anyone cutting on your plates or keeping them if there's leftover cake. You can stick the cakes onto the plates with double-sided tape or florist gum.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Now, for my own personal $.02... I'd make a fondant ribbon. The thought of a textile on a buttercream cake is icky to me. icon_smile.gif

I'm just curious why you find it "icky." I always launder my ribbon first, so I know it's clean. I figure it's no ickier than putting Viva towel on buttercream.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

I'm just curious why you find it "icky." I always launder my ribbon first, so I know it's clean. I figure it's no ickier than putting Viva towel on buttercream.

I've never heard anyone ever admit to laundering their ribbon first. If washing the ribbon first is so typical that no one thinks they need to mention it, then I'll reconsider my icky comment. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that's not the case. icon_smile.gif

Kudos to you for circumventing the icky factor. thumbs_up.gif

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 6

I just like everything on the cake to be edible. That's why I prefer a fondant ribbon...but we get requests from brides for cloth ribbon all the time and we do use it. No, we don't launder it first and generally don't put anything behind it either. If you wait until your buttercream has crusted well to put on the ribbon, it usually won't absorb the grease or change color. If I did anything, I'd iron the back on waxpaper.

cakesbyjulie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjulie2 Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for all the help!

Julie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%