Question About Wedding Cake Pricing.

Decorating By Susie43727 Updated 21 May 2009 , 1:27pm by costumeczar

Susie43727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie43727 Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 14

I have a quick question I hope someone will help me with. I just started doing cakes(selling them) and someone asked me to make a wedding cake. As we was discussing the details and pricing she said; "You can't charge me for the top cake, the one we keep, it doesn't count." I have never heard of this before, but I was just making sure that I'm not doing wrong by charging her for this cake. I just figured they was going to eat it eventually(on there 1st anniv.) so they was to be charged for it. I have to pay for the supplies to make it. Am I wrong or do I really not charge her for it. Thanks for helping and happy baking!! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 14

Yes, you charge.

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 14

yes you charge!!!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 14

So, if they request a wedding cake for 100 people, this "anniversary cake" would be extra servings? if it is, how big should it be? icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 14

I've never made a wedding cake, but if I ever do, I will charge for every serving of cake they receive...whether they eat it at the reception or a year later. I would be offended if a prospective client told me what I was or wasn't going to charge for. That just rubs me the wrong way.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:02am
post #6 of 14

Every bakery on the planet that does wedding cakes charges for the anniversary tier. If she doesn't want you to charge, tell her to approach one of those bakeries with that argument... icon_twisted.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:37am
post #7 of 14

If she doesn't want to count it in her servings so she can save it for a year that's her business--then she orders enough cake and subtracts the servings--not the money-but oh my yes you sure do charge her for it.

The nerve!

pegi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pegi Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:51am
post #8 of 14

A prospective client that is that petty and cheap would leave me wondering...Is she going to critique everything you charge for? icon_confused.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:55am
post #9 of 14

I've only done two wedding cakes and made the mistake of undercharging each time. My NEW rule is not to even begin a wedding cake for less than $250. And that's only for a 3 tier with smoothed buttercream and border. Any additional accents will be at least $25 each. You deserve to be compensated well for a wedding cake. Anything less than $250 will be $75 for a 1 layer half sheet cake or $100 for 2 layer. Probably still too low.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:00am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

I've only done two wedding cakes and made the mistake of undercharging each time. My NEW rule is not to even begin a wedding cake for less than $250. And that's only for a 3 tier with smoothed buttercream and border. Any additional accents will be at least $25 each. You deserve to be compensated well for a wedding cake. Anything less than $250 will be $75 for a 1 layer half sheet cake or $100 for 2 layer. Probably still too low.

You go girl! It's work ain't it!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:17am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegi

A prospective client that is that petty and cheap would leave me wondering...Is she going to critique everything you charge for? icon_confused.gif

Lord help her if that's the kind of client this is. I had one of these "momzilla's" a couple years ago and she referred me to her friend a year later who I told straight up (referring to the price) "deal with it -- cakes cost what they cost and I will not be nickeled and dimed to death over every little thing." Oh yeah, she got the point! icon_twisted.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:20am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie43727

I have a quick question I hope someone will help me with. I just started doing cakes(selling them) and someone asked me to make a wedding cake. As we was discussing the details and pricing she said; "You can't charge me for the top cake, the one we keep, it doesn't count."

OMG......LMAO......Oh I'm sorry, that one is rich!!! I'm sure the bride just got her servings vs price mixed up and wasn't thinking, but really. "It doesn't count"???

You should say. "Oh yeah....whooops I forgot to add on the sorely mistaken bridal research fee...sorry that's extra."

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:27am
post #13 of 14

What a bizarre statement - so if you keep something, you don't pay for it? Excellent - I'm off to the shops!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:27pm
post #14 of 14

I don't charge for the top tier, and I know others who don't also, it all depends on how you want to do it. However, for her to tell you that you CAN'T is stupid!

I don't include the top tier in the serving count, they can either serve it, keep it or eat it on their anniversary. If they want to get another cake for their anniversary they pay me for that one. It amounts to the same thing as people who give a complimentary anniversary cake on the first anniversary, but it keeps me from having to keep track of brides a year after their weddings.

Again, you do what you want to do. Plenty of people charge for the top tier, so if you want to you go right ahead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%