Help.. Donut Cake

Decorating By tiggerjo Updated 20 May 2009 , 7:25pm by brincess_b

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 12

I have a request for a birthday cake. The person is a donut fanatic. Any ideas for me?

11 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 12

This is a link i found when i googled *donut cakes*
Its for a 30cm = 12 inch round dounut cake.
Might this be what your after?

http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/pastries-baking-general/33727-how-would-i-make-donut-cake.html

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 12

i know theres lots in the galleries. id be tempted to use actual donuts, just stacked up, with whatever accents like flowers or something.
xx

DimplesDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DimplesDelights Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 12

icon_rolleyes.gif I would use a bunt cake, maybe two; one right side up and the other unpside down on top, with bc between them then bc and fondant on top. Then you could use more bc and add sprinkles, I like the chocolate sprinkles. Then there would be almost no carving because the bunt cake pans are already curved enough.

tiggerjo Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 12

I was thinking of just using a simple round base and stacking differently decorated real donuts on the top. Just felt that was kind of cheating.

brincess_b Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 12

i give your plan a thumbs up! if they are a donut fan, they want things that taste like donuts, not just look like them icon_smile.gif although it would look cool with a giant cake donut too.
xx

DimplesDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DimplesDelights Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 12

I wouldnt use real donuts on top unless someone asked for them, i think they would look like,well, like you said "like you were cheating"I would use some gumpaste or fondant donuts though. I like donuts too and if someone made me a giant donut cake i would love it.

Bluehue Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerjo

I was thinking of just using a simple round base
The link i posted ^^^ says that that is what you start with - and then carve the edgers....Freezing the 12 inch round cake will make it easier to carve - altho you probably do/new that - icon_redface.gif
and stacking differently decorated real donuts on the top. Just felt that was kind of cheating.

Go on - make a 12 inch round and carve away -
Can't wait to see what it looks like thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.

tiggerjo Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 12

um nope, I didn't know to freeze before carving as I have never carved a cake. Oh what have I gotten myself into.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 12

I once ate a cake that actually tasted like a donut. You might be able to google a recipe for cake like that.

Bluehue Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:24pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerjo

um nope, I didn't know to freeze before carving as I have never carved a cake. Oh what have I gotten myself into.

Ooops, sorry didn't mean to scare you icon_redface.gif - its just depending on what type of cake mix you use - depends it the cake will crumble or stay put when carving/shaving some off.

You don't have to freeze it - an hour or two in the fridge would be fine.

Every cake i make either goes into the freezer overnight - or into the fridge for a few hours - makes it easier to torte, ganache and then cover.
(no crumbs flying around - icon_wink.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif )

Can't wait to see it... thumbs_up.gif
It will take pride and place on CC's photo stream - thats for sure.

bH. icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:25pm
post #12 of 12

i like these ideas:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=72232
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1372566
if you look in the gallery theres lots of donut cakes, mainly with pink icing and a homer!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%