Simple How-To's For Doing Scroll Designs

Decorating By ChicaRosa06 Updated 20 May 2009 , 2:10am by kansaswolf

ChicaRosa06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChicaRosa06 Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 8

Hi! I am fairly new at cake decorating but I am always impressed the way scrolling looks on cakes. So far I have only learned how to make buttercream icing and I wanted to find out if it is even possible to do scrolls with buttercream.

Can anyone please help me with a couple of questions:

1.) Can you used buttercream icing to do scrolls?
2.) Should the icing be the same thickness as icing used for writing?
3.) Is there any technique on free-handing or are stencils recommended?

I really appreciate everyone's help.

And just FYI-learning how to do fondant cakes is next on my list!

7 replies
bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #2 of 8

bump - i have always had issues w/ these, for some crazy reason! can't get them even.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #3 of 8

Wilton has a scroll press set you can use to get perfect design. You can use royal or BC.

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:58am
post #4 of 8

for my mehndi cake is used b/c made with all butter, it gets a little warm, which kinda helped. Keep your tip very close (but not touching) to the cake. Use both hands to keep steady, if you use stencils, it would be easier, but I went free hand. Be patient. Practice on paper towels that are upright if you want. Have a design sketched or in mind when you start. I have another cake due next week, 3 tier teal and black, mehndi design, with seashells, should be interesting. Good luck, and if you need more help pm me. HTH

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:59am
post #5 of 8

Yes you can use buttercream to do scrolls. I actually usually add just a little piping gel to my buttercream when doing scrolls and writing. It will prevent breaking "lines".
If you don't feel comfortable free handing you can always buy a press set that you just press into your icing and then pipe over it. Wilton has a set that is less than $10.00. There are tons of press sets out there.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:59am
post #6 of 8

1, yes you can use buttercream to do scrolls on buttercream cakes. If it's a fondant cake, most people recommend royal icing scrolls instead.

2. yes...you want it to flow out easily..but not too thin that it will "sag" while piping it on.

3. I don't know. I know there are stencils, but there are SO many to choose from. And some can get quite expensive. As mother's say..practice makes perfect! There might be some templates in the galleries? Maybe someone else can chime in to answer that one!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:00am
post #7 of 8

ChicaRosa..You can use buttercream or royal for scrolls in medium consistancy. Wilton has various scroll imprinters that you can put on the cake instead of free hand until you feel comfy doing it free hand thumbs_up.gif . I can't do it free hand yet so I have these to guide my hand.

HTH icon_smile.gif

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #8 of 8

On the other hand, if you're freehanding it, it doesn't have to completely cover your imprinted line in the frosting or fondant. You can always pretend you MEANT for it to look like it does. Scrollwork doesn't HAVE to be an exact science unless you're supposed to be copying an exact design. If it's just for a little something extra, it doesn't HAVE to be so precise, just neat.

(I don't have any scroll patterns, so maybe I'm just making myself feel better... icon_wink.gif ) But really, some practice might be all you need! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%