Bleeping Rodent/black Fondant/fridge Question

Decorating By drakegore Updated 24 May 2009 , 1:23am by drakegore

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 10

i have been conscripted to make a mickey mouse head cake for my best friend's son. yippeeee (not)..... i had a beautiful mickey tiered design, but no, it has to be head o'mickey or the world is not right icon_smile.gif.

i bought satin ice black fondant to cover the chocolate cake in. i am a buttercream lover and am not super experienced with fondant (but the idea of a zillion little kids running around with their lips and teeth stained black from buttercream nudged me toward the light).

i need TIME and lots of it to do this cake right. SMBC has been (strongly) requested so i will need to refridgerate overnight.

i know fondant sweats when removed from fridge. ok here's the question (at last...sorry), will the "sweating" of the fondant, make the black bleed onto the buttercream coating, white fondant eyes, or peachy mouse muzzle? sorry, after that build up, my %@%$@% question should have been more dramatic, lol.

if i have to chuck the smbc i will, but only if i have to.

diane

9 replies
niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 10

LOL the buildup to your question was great! you made my day!

I don't like the idea of having to refrigerate fondant (or any of my cakes) so I do everything shelf stable. However, I would think Satin ice would stand up to the fridge and not sweat color. But, I'm not for sure.

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 10

i haven't a clue on the whole fridge thing, but your post is great!

one word of warning-when working the black fondant, do not use cornstarch. i learned the hard way-it leaves white on the black which looks rediculous and will only serve to make you more mad at the rodent head.

SugarHighBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighBakery Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 10

OMG...when I read t title I was thinking you had a mouse in the house and wanted to keep the cake safe so needed to put it in the fridge at night...ROTFL!
Glad that is not the case..lol You story made me laugh.

I have never put fondant i the fridge, so I have no advice other than I know you are not supposed too. I have only ever worked with MMF, so I dont know about the Satin Ice either. Sorry.

drakegore Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:43am
post #5 of 10

no mouse problems, lol, but i do have a hubby, kid, dog, and two cats that think any cake is fair game if you're sneaky enough icon_smile.gif.

i don't know what to do about this black fondant thing....if i was good enough i would just try and cover it in the moring for the afternoon party but i don't have enough confidence in my ability with it not to have a "plan b" (cripes, i just realized i DON'T have a plan "b", lol).

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:49am
post #6 of 10

The cake I made for my daughter's first birthday (look in my pics for the mad hatter cake) had a smbc base. The bottom tier was smbc with both red and black fondant accents. I kept it in the fridge overnight and neither the red nor the black bled at all. Hope that helps!

funtasticake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtasticake Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:22am
post #7 of 10

i had used fondant red..and i did put it in the fridge..i did not have any problem either...

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:40am
post #8 of 10

I've put satin ice in the fridge a ton of times... in my opinion, it matters what type of climate the cake is going into once it leaves the fridge. In the winter here, no humidity, I never have a problem. Once the humidity starts though, the cakes sweat as soon it comes out the fridge. I've never had it bleed as long as you leave it alone while the condensation dries up. It needs to sit for a bit and dry off. On a side note, I recently took a class with Elissa Strauss in NYC, she said two interesting things.. for starters, she only uses SMBC for her frosting and never refridgerates it once the cake is done. It usually sits out overnight and she's never had a problem with the icing. Secondly, she was told by the woman she interned with (her name is escaping me at the moment) that if you box up your cake and cover it in saran wrap, the condensation will adhere to the box and saran and not the cake. I've never tried it so I don't know if that works. I think this summer I'm going to pick up a dehumidifier for my kitchen in hopes that I can still refridgerate my cakes once they are done, I hate delivering room temp cakes. oh and one final note... I always use corn starch to roll out my fondant and if I end up with some residue, you can very very very gently steam the cake to get rid of the powder. I just use my tea kettle and spin the cake around near it and it's fine but many people use a clothes steamer, it's easier

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:40am
post #9 of 10

If you are using just SMBC... with nothing else perishable in it... you can leave it out over night. No problem.

BUT... the black fondant will be fine in the fridge too. when you bring it out, keep it in a cool place (an air conditioned room is great) and bring it to temp slowly and the humidity won't get to it as much. That's what I do in the summer when it's humid... put the cake in my AC'd office and then turn off the AC and let it come to temp that way. If the humidity isn't high where you are then I wouldn't worry about it. icon_smile.gif

drakegore Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:23am
post #10 of 10

i just wanted to say thank you for all the help! i should have done this earlier but i was in a cake frenzy to get this mouse done. the little guy loved it and it was worth two days of work icon_smile.gif. may i never have to make a micky cake again icon_biggrin.gif
here is a photo of all that black fondant that gave me kittens (but did not bleed thanks to your advice!).
thanks again!
diane
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%