Scrolls On A Square Cake

Decorating By Marniela Updated 20 May 2009 , 4:36pm by Marniela

Marniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marniela Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 8

I've got a wedding cake this summer and the bride wants 3 different kinds of scrollwork on the side of the cakes--she wants square tiers. I read somewhere that if you are not great at freehand scrolls (which I am not!), you can print/draw out the pattern and trace it with royal icing on wax paper. Once it dries, you can pick it up and "glue" it to the side of the cake. Has anyone done this before? I'm wondering if the whole scroll piece would break once the cake is cut?

Any other tips on doing scrollwork would be much appreciated. Thanks!

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 8

I agree with IndiDeb the swilton scrolls are great

However, like you, I have a summer weddijng cake with scrolls but the bride picked from some internet pictures

So, what I'm thinking of doing is either piping with piping gel onto wax paper (with the scroll beneath it) and turning out onto the cake.

OR pressing the scroll pattern onto the cake and tracing it with a toothpick. I will be using fondant and I've done this before with some little fondant embellishments. Worked great and I think it will work this way since i'm using ivory fondant-the toothpick pattern press will show up.

Marniela Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 8

Hmm... I checked out the link and the Wilton presses don't look quite like the scrolls that the bride wants.

Niccicola--If you pipe with piping gel onto wax paper, does the piping gel dry hard? It thought I would have to use royal icing... The toothpick marker sounds like a good idea as well. I will be using white fondant so it should work for me as well--just sounds like a lot of work. I may do a trial run and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestions icon_smile.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 8

well, no.

you would pipe with pipoing gel, then press onto fondant or crusted buttercream so it makes an outline. then go back and pipe with whatever color you want the scrolls to be.

i do have sugarveil but have not had much success with it. (have not tried it but once and it was a lot of work )

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:01am
post #6 of 8

You could also do FBCT of the scrollwork. Print out your design cover with wax paper pipe the design by tracing with buttercream, freeze then apply it to the sides of the cake.

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:15am
post #7 of 8

If you have a scroll pattern you can cut a stencil of it then stencil it on the cake. If you want it to stand out pipe over the stenciled design. I did that on my last cake when the customer wanted the monogram that was on the invitation put on the cake.

Marniela Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the tips guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%