How Do I Get The Unc Blue Color?

Decorating By Sneezie Updated 19 May 2009 , 1:57am by costumeczar

Sneezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sneezie Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 6

I am making a graduation cake and the main color is UNC blue. How do I get the right shade? Don't want to screw up the color! Thanks in advance!!

5 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:45am
post #2 of 6

A very small amount of sky blue. Make your icing a couple of days in advance because it will deepen. Make sure you color all you need at one time because it will be impossible to match a second batch.

Jibbies

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:45am
post #3 of 6

I used Cornflower blue by Wilton. Just adjust the shade. I am a huge UNC fan so it was not hard to match up. =)

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:48am
post #4 of 6

I once answered this question for someone else on this board with a link to the official paint color from the school. However, I can't find it now!

What is probably most important is to ask the customer what Carolina Blue is to them. Why? Because on even official merchandise, you see everything from the palest powder blue to a very vibrant color. Plus, you can't trust the color on computer monitors because it can vary quite a bit.

Can you ask the customer for a swatch or an item to borrow to try to imitate? I often need to make "Carolina Blue", but I just eyeball it until I get it right, since I'm only trying to please myself and friends and family.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:51am
post #5 of 6

I agree with Ziggy! You definitely need something to match it up to.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:57am
post #6 of 6

I second the cornflower blue, but I think that I add something else to it, too. Maybe a little sky blue also? It's more cornflower than sky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%