Question About Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By cakesdivine Updated 19 May 2009 , 6:36pm by sweetjan

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 11

Does Modeling chocolate harden up just like fondant? Does it taste better/worse than fondant?

I have never used it but there is a bride who chose a cake design that would probably do better with modeling chocolate than with fondant. It is my understanding the modeling chocolate is a little stiffer than fondant.

Would love any information on what this medium is like.

10 replies
cakesdivine Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 11

Oh and a great recipe for it if it isn't something you can buy by the bucket...LOL

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:20am
post #3 of 11

It's like Tootsie Roll more than fondant. You can roll it out and it stays flexible to a certain extent but it will stiffen up and keep its shape if it's cool weather.

I once took a cake that had chocolate roses on it outside during the summer (to walk to my car) and in just that time it started melting and softening up, so you have to be careful with it temperature-wise.

I like the way that roses look when you make them with the chocolate, because you can really thin out the edges and mess with them to make them realistic. It's also easier to use for ribbons that go on the cake tiers, because it keeps its shape better than fondant when you pick it up and move it around (as long as it's not too warm.) It's good to use for molding figures because it behaves more like modelling clay than fondant does.

If you're using the candy melts, an easy recipe is 1 bag of Wilton melts and 1/3 cup corn syrup. Melt the candy in the microwave and add the corn syrup in, then stir it until it seizes up. Don't overstir it or it will separate when it cools off. It might still separate a little, but it doesn't make a lot of difference. Wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit for a few hours before you use it. If it's too hard when you go to use it you can put it in the microwave for 5 seconds or so just to start softening it. If you overwork it and it gets too melty you can put it in the fridge until it cools off.

One thing to be aware of is that if you have hot hands normally, it might be hard to work with, because it will soften up too much.

Hope that helps a little!

cakesdivine Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:09am
post #4 of 11

Shoot, this is in the middle of july here in Texas and an outdoor wedding to boot! crap. Will have to see.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #5 of 11

If you are having issues with modeling chocolate per se, I highly recommend Jennifer Dontz's Pearl Clay. You can get more info on it at www.jenniferdontz.com. Personally I swear by the stuff! icon_lol.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:15am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

If you're using the candy melts, an easy recipe is 1 bag of Wilton melts and 1/3 cup corn syrup. Melt the candy in the microwave and add the corn syrup in, then stir it until it seizes up. Don't overstir it or it will separate when it cools off. It might still separate a little, but it doesn't make a lot of difference. Wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit for a few hours before you use it. If it's too hard when you go to use it you can put it in the microwave for 5 seconds or so just to start softening it. If you overwork it and it gets too melty you can put it in the fridge until it cools off.

I got a tip recently that says to wrap it in newsprint--the paper type, not an actual newspaper--because it'll get some of that....moisture out and makes it a lot easier to work with even when hot. I guess you could use paper towels, too, but newsprint will stand up better.

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:17am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I got a tip recently that says to wrap it in newsprint--the paper type, not an actual newspaper--because it'll get some of that....moisture out and makes it a lot easier to work with even when hot. I guess you could use paper towels, too, but newsprint will stand up better.

I've tried that newsprint idea -- WASTE OF TIME!! Completely!! The newsprint stuck to the candy clay somethin fierce and wouldn't release, it was a grand disaster!! icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif I threw the whole batch out! icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif That's why I'm such a fan of the pearl clay -- I haven't had a problem since then! icon_lol.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #8 of 11

Try Jennifer Dontz's pearl clay. The recipe is on her DVDs.

cakesdivine Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:40pm
post #9 of 11

Went to her site and even did a search for that recipe with no results. icon_sad.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 11

It's on her DVDs. You can write her directly for more information.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 11

Lots of good info, costumeczar! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%