Refrigerating Fondant

Decorating By jomar0321 Updated 17 May 2009 , 3:55am by jomar0321

jomar0321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jomar0321 Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:04am
post #1 of 6

Can I refrigerate a buttercream frosted cake with fondant decorations? I know you shouldn't if the cake is covered with fondant but is it the same? I finished a cake today with circles and stripes of fondant but was too afraid to refrigerate it. The cake/filling were not perishable so I didn't worry too much about leaving it out. But would like to know for next time.

5 replies
anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:09am
post #2 of 6

jomar, I've tried this in the past and it's basically like playing russian roulette with your cake. Depending upon the humidity in there, sometimes the cake is fine and other times the fondant decorations sort of "melt" and the colors often bleed. I have heard that if you wrap it loosely in saran wrap the condensation then has somewhere else to collect other than your cake, but after my experiences I try keep my fondant out of the fridge for the few times I use it.

jomar0321 Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:18am
post #3 of 6

That's what I was afraid of! Considering this was my first "real" cake (not for friends/family) I would have freaked out if something like that happened. I'll take you're word for it and won't take a chance! Thanks for your help!

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:31am
post #4 of 6

You're welcome icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:36am
post #5 of 6

I refrigerate every cake no matter what..helps it travel better. If its humid and condenses a bit, just leave it totally alone and it dries out after a bit.

jomar0321 Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:55am
post #6 of 6

Do you ever have trouble with the colors bleeding like the previous post mentioned?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%