Needed Asap-I Can't Try Them All...

Decorating By ajay0665 Updated 16 May 2009 , 5:55am by cakeandpartygirl

ajay0665 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajay0665 Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:48am
post #1 of 9

Is there a good frosting to use that is slightly crusting, buttery tasting with 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco and that doesn't get grainy?

My old favorite was the whipped buttercream (which doesn't have ANY butter in it) but lately it has been grainy.

I am making a cake for my nieces graduation party (small) and my sister wants a frosting that is buttery but not grainy.

I have read through many of the frosting recipes and they all have powdered sugar. Does all powdered sugar get grainy? What causes the grainyness?

A

8 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:59am
post #2 of 9

I use Buttercream Dream, I've never had a problem with it getting grainy and everyone loves it. Sorry, I have no idea what causes the grainy-ness (is that a word? should be!)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2123-Buttercream-Dream.html

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:00am
post #3 of 9

Found a whole thread for you, entirely by accident

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6287989-.html#6287989

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:10am
post #4 of 9

I just tried Enda's buttercream recipe tonight. It's not grainy at all. It's actually a lot less sweet than regular bc, and I think I'll start using it from now on. But it does call for hi ratio shortening..don't know if you have that on hand!

ajay0665 Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:28am
post #5 of 9

I don't have any high ratio on hand. In fact, I don't think I have any place near me to get it.

After reading through the link that Bizatchgirl sent me, I am thinking it is the powdered sugar I have been purchasing in big bags at Sam's Club (similar to a Costco) I do have some C&H that is not opened yet so maybe I will try that with one of the recipes.

I tried one recipe tonight. It was a recipe for EASY SMBC...at least I think that's what it was. It was made part in a blender (hot water and reg. sugar, mer. powder) and then you whip with whisk attachment until like marsh. fluff. Then you add butter. It was so buttery...like licking a stick of butter. I wish I could find something that was fluffy like my Whipped Buttercream, has a slightly buttery taste and didn't leave that grease film on roof of mouth.

I will have to pick one and just try it. I don't have a lot of ingredients left to use and my hubby is working late so I can't leave to get more.

Guess it is going to be a late night.....

Ajay

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:34am
post #6 of 9

That's so weird that it's grainy. I've never had that problem with the regular bc recipe. I've tried regular bc, Indydebi'd bc, Edna's bc..never a problem. Are you sifting the ps first and mixing well, while scraping the bowl? I'm sure you are..just throwing out ideas of why it would be grainy. I'm sorry you're having the problem..hopefully it will turn out ok!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:35am
post #7 of 9

There is a crusting BC recipe in the recipes section that has cake flour in it, dissolved in hot water. I've used it once or twice and I like it a lot.

I know that other gritty BC thread attributes a lot to the brand of PS, but they also say they think SMBC never has the problem because of the hot liquids. In the recipe with the cake flour, you dissolve the cake flour in hot water. I know this took care of my air bubble issue in my icing, and I don't remember any grittiness.

I'm so tired, waiting for my mom to come for an hour...she needs me to type something on the comp and print it for her...anyway, I spelled flour wrong every time above. Had to correct them all. Had flower. And had to correct dissolve--had spelled 2 different ways.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK with your icing.

ajay0665 Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:42am
post #8 of 9

I really like the whipped buttercream and you do start use hot water. You mix the shortening and the powdered sugar together first. Then you mix the reg. sugar, hot water and mer. powder to get like a marshmallow fluff. At this point, separate, they are both okay but when I add them together as the recipe calls, thats when I get the gritty-grainy...

Well - like I said, I am going to just have to pick one and try it. If it doesn't turn out....it's my sister so it's not like it will be terrible. She did however specify that she wanted a BUTTER cream...not shortening and she did specify no grittyness.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I will keep checking back on this thread to see if anyone has come up with a solution to this problem. At least I am not the only one who has had it...

Ajay

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:55am
post #9 of 9

I have used serious cakes recipes for buttercream and it uses both buttercream and shortning but it is good and I don't have any problem with graininess and everything that it calls for you can get from the grocery store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%